BMW dealers say no synthetic oil in 87 325i

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 87 325i 2.5 L has 90,000 mi. and just out of curiosity I called the dealer and asked what oil I should be using, I told them where I live its real hard finding BMW approved oil. I asked if Rotella T6 5W-40 or M1 0W-40 would be ok. They told me both oils are very good but not to use synthetic oil, told me to use Rotella T 15W-40 and I'll be fine.

I've been using M1 0W-40. I called 3 dealers in Michigan and they all said no synthetic oil
crazy.gif

The REAL question is what does BMW AG say about it.

Call BMW and ask them about this. Dealers are not the best source for this type of information. If you have access to the owners manual it MIGHT indicate which. If not try BMW forums usually you will get very detailed info from these people.

Asking a dealer what to use is one step up from asking my mom what oil to use.
Some relevant questions:
1. How much oil does it burn?
2. Does it leak oil?
3. How long are your oil change intervals?

Take a look in your OM. Mine from 1991, which covers the 318 and 325 shows this:

49e079ea.jpg

I take the "special oils" to denote synthetics.

While the OM really shows standard conventional oils as recommended, I dont see a reason to not use a special oil. The dealer wont want to do it because most folks with a 20 year old car would balk at the prices, and the dealer knows what they've seen plenty of 200k examples of these cars running on.

Ive run M1 0w-40, but liked running rotella a bit better. Either are surely fine.

Id use them and use the SII if yours works, and not worry about what the dealer says.

just do keep in mind that sometimes people do see leakage when changing over (my 91 has not leaked ever).

Originally Posted By: FastGame
My 87 325i 2.5 L has 90,000 mi. and just out of curiosity I called the dealer and asked what oil I should be using, I told them where I live its real hard finding BMW approved oil. I asked if Rotella T6 5W-40 or M1 0W-40 would be ok. They told me both oils are very good but not to use synthetic oil, told me to use Rotella T 15W-40 and I'll be fine.

I've been using M1 0W-40. I called 3 dealers in Michigan and they all said no synthetic oil
crazy.gif

15W40 in Michigan when it's almost December? That's almost criminally bad advice. Stick with the M1 0w40 - which IIRC carries both A3/B3 and BMW LL01 - and check oil off your worry list.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Take a look in your OM. Mine from 1991, which covers the 318 and 325 shows this:

49e079ea.jpg

I take the "special oils" to denote synthetics.

While the OM really shows standard conventional oils as recommended, I dont see a reason to not use a special oil. The dealer wont want to do it because most folks with a 20 year old car would balk at the prices, and the dealer knows what they've seen plenty of 200k examples of these cars running on.

Ive run M1 0w-40, but liked running rotella a bit better. Either are surely fine.

Id use them and use the SII if yours works, and not worry about what the dealer says.

just do keep in mind that sometimes people do see leakage when changing over (my 91 has not leaked ever).

As to bolded, thank you.

The E30 may have been a little bit shy of certain oils having unintended consequences, would be my guess.

Ill bet that dealer told you to use 10W-40 dino in the winter, which you CAN do but its really the absolute thickest you can go, and in Michican id use a 5W something. Right?

I fed my hot-running E30 anything from basically two different oils, 20W-50 and 5W-50 synthetic. Not much of a difference. Even 10W-40 was ok, technically, but it ran very hot so i liked 20W-50. No issues, but that engine was on borrowed time. And what a strong engine! But for the winter, which i never had it in.. 5W-50 synthetic, will do.

Put GC in it it will be ok. No synthetic? My [censored].

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Did any of them say WHY you shouldn't use synthetic?

One said the seals would leak, the other two said synthetic oil isn't recommended for that year. I argued that the M1 site says the only oil they make for my car is 0W-40 with no other options....they told me do what I want but no synthetic is their final word.

This all started when a buddy of mine (also owns an old BMW) got into the typical synthetic vs dino argument, he said I'd ruin my car if I put synthetic in after using dino. Of coarse I lost the argument (in his mind) after we called the dealers....
shocked.gif

I've owned this car for 5 years, the guy I bought it from was using 10W-40 but didn't know what brand because a shop did his OC. I use M1 0W-40 and will continue doing so, maybe I'll try Rotella T6.. ?

Those old oil viscosity/temp charts are a riot.
And they are apparently copied and still used here and there.

A 40 only good to 60 deg F? Yeah... OK.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

For the SG quality oils of the day, im sure that was fairly accurate. Same with the 20W-50 recommendation for HOT climates.

Nowadays, im sure 5W-50 iff not M1 15W-50 would be good for the ETA, Super ETA, and actual 2.5L (M50B25, ETA was M50B27 engine.) Or, GC.

The BMW message board echoed the "seal leak" concerns and ONE user uses 10W-40 over on there (RedBaron6325 si his name on unofficialbmw.com, he puts 10W-40 in it) while the others all love 20W-50. Im sure 5W-50 would tide them over, if they dare to try.

The anti-30 stigma is alive and well on these cars, and it comes up a LOT with Audi, BMW, and M-B. Most of the time its accurate, too. (no tick, no leak on 40 and better oils in these cars.)

Quote:
One said the seals would leak, the other two said synthetic oil isn't recommended for that year. I argued that the M1 site says the only oil they make for my car is 0W-40 with no other options....they told me do what I want but no synthetic is their final word.

This all started when a buddy of mine (also owns an old BMW) got into the typical synthetic vs dino argument, he said I'd ruin my car if I put synthetic in after using dino. Of coarse I lost the argument (in his mind) after we called the dealers....

I've owned this car for 5 years, the guy I bought it from was using 10W-40 but didn't know what brand because a shop did his OC. I use M1 0W-40 and will continue doing so, maybe I'll try Rotella T6.. ?

May i ask why you arent happy with the M1 0W-40 you have in there now? its a hard oil to beat.

Dare i say it.. Try RP (Royal Purple) of the same grade.. 0W-40?
shocked.gif
That, or GC. Or M1 15W-50.

FWIW, i put Dino 10W-40 in mine, too, but my dino 10W-40 was technically a blend. Then, in the summer, i went thicker. Mind you, my engine ran with its temperature up VERY high, 7/8 the temp gauge as a matter of fact. Never did figure out why, but it ran for three months like that before it finally made the extra tick up and overheated. I didnt have video back then, but it always got 20W-50 in blazing hot summer, always did well, had minimal consumption with 20W-50 had more with 10W-40, and ran until that happened, and even after. Incredible car and engine.

I also put top-up quarts of OLD Pennzoil 5W-50 and also Syntec 5W-50 in there with no real improvement, so i stuck with 20W-50. If i had it to do over, i would try GC, and if that proved too light, id look at a 5W-50 again, perhaps MAYBE a thick 40, for that engine, though 5W-50 may edge out. That engine likes that grade, its echoed on forums for the car. (Old engine design, inclined to use thicker oil. They certainly did NNOT put 30-weight in them in Germany, when they were Autobahned, with SG-spec oil. NO!)

The BMW dealers were afraid of the new oil in the old car, and that you qould bring it back to them saying "You told us Synth would be OK and then it leaked." Strictly covering their butt. I dont blame them. What the oil will and wont do? You dont know until you put it in. EVERY ENGINE IS DIFFERENT WITH THIS!!! Most do fine, some dont.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: calvin1
15W40 in Michigan when it's almost December? That's almost criminally bad advice. Stick with the M1 0w40 - which IIRC carries both A3/B3 and BMW LL01 - and check oil off your worry list.

Yes I agree but in my case this car isn't driven in the winter, the previous owner said the same...kinda believe him because this car is rust free even by Arizona standards.
cool.gif

I haven't met a dealer yet that knows anything about motor oil.
15W-40 is a antiquated oil and even for my newer 96 328i that's what was recommended in the manual for ambient temp's above 50F. But even in the day local BMW dealers never used it. It was 5W-30 for winter and 10W-30 for summer.

Anyway, as others have suggested use M1 0W-40; you don't need anything heavier.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
May i ask why you arent happy with the M1 0W-40 you have in there now? its a hard oil to beat.

Dare i say it.. Try RP (Royal Purple) of the same grade.. 0W-40?
shocked.gif
That, or GC. Or M1 15W-50.

Yes I'm happy with M1 0W-40 and I'm not really looking for change, I started this thread because I thought it was interesting what BMW dealers had to say about my car...

Anyhoo thanks to all !

Last edited:
FastGame, I'd be really curious to know what these dealers are going to put in such a car if they were to do the oil change themselves. The BMW dealer I use for parts for my 94 530i only has two oils: their BMW rebranded Castrol synthetic 5w30 and 10w60. The 10w60 is for the M cars so that narrows it down pretty quickly. Maybe if you're game call back and pretend you never called them before to set up an oil change service and ask oh-by-the-way what oil they'll be using.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

Not directed at anyone in particular: I thought we (BITOG at least) were passed the old "synthetic makes your car leak". If your car is only sealed with grit and varnish then yes, good oil will wash that away. That's the fault of the junk oil that was run before not the good oil you just put in. For a BMW service department to still be using this line is just stupid. They've sold synthetic for decades.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
FastGame, I'd be really curious to know what these dealers are going to put in such a car if they were to do the oil change themselves. The BMW dealer I use for parts for my 94 530i only has two oils: their BMW rebranded Castrol synthetic 5w30 and 10w60. The 10w60 is for the M cars so that narrows it down pretty quickly. Maybe if you're game call back and pretend you never called them before to set up an oil change service and ask oh-by-the-way what oil they'll be using.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

Not directed at anyone in particular: I thought we (BITOG at least) were passed the old "synthetic makes your car leak". If your car is only sealed with grit and varnish then yes, good oil will wash that away. That's the fault of the junk oil that was run before not the good oil you just put in. For a BMW service department to still be using this line is just stupid. They've sold synthetic for decades.

Yes that's interesting, I know what they would put in my car. I guess this might of gotten off coarse because I pretended that I couldn't find BMW oil where I lived and wanted to know what oil that's easy to find in stores and that's when the HDEO got thrown into the mix...the no synthetic made no sense to me at all. I didn't press the issue and that may of been my fault, besides I made it known that I wasn't getting BMW oil so maybe they just wanted to get me off the phone (not waste their time)

Thanks.

Ive had BMW dealer offer to change my oil and put 10W-60 in it too. My reply was, "If i ever get the Ferrari Enzo, ill give that stuff a shot. Please, just put this 5W-50 in." (It was Syntec, and their 10W-60 was Castrol RS. My car also had the M-Technic package, and a Jim Conforti ECM, sooo it would blow away an M... anyways.. ) And they were bucking at me over the synthetic. I politely offered to put the quart next to their 10W-60 quart.. They shut up and said "Whatever you want."
laugh.gif

I always put an xW-40 or xW-50 in there. Purred nicely. Then the other monsters in that engine showed up. Not oil-related, though my engine had an issue that made it run at a very high temperature and the thick oil put my mind at ease.

Any BMW i get 1005 and earlier including a ZHP (??) will be most likely getting a 40-weight, though possibly a 50-weight oil with a W number of "0" or "5." This because i drive fast and hard on highways for hours, and the BMW has a nice operating temperature. That IS a car where you will see 220-240 degree oil temps.

60 weight oil im not even sure i would put in anything. It doesnt even SOUND right, yet its FF in $600,000 Enzo. Who knows
21.gif

You can use synthetic with no problem..Infact I know an old guy with over 300k miles on one using Mobil 1 15w50. I use rotella 15w40 in myn but would not hesitate to put synthetic in it. We use BMW 15w40 at the dealer I work at. I'm assuming its rebadged castrol tection but I don't know that for sure. I can tell you that these motors are not very picky when it comes to oil.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I like my old charts (relevant because the cars I show them from are DDs).

Note the upper temp is based upon via spread.

Until you can prove why the low temp values would differ, they are still valid.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
You can use synthetic with no problem..Infact I know an old guy with over 300k miles on one using Mobil 1 15w50. I use rotella 15w40rotella 15w40 in myn but would not hesitate to put synthetic in it. We use BMW 15w40 at the dealer I work at. I'm assuming its rebadged castrol tection but I don't know that for sure. I can tell you that these motors are not very picky when it comes to oil.

Hmm, I guess the BMW shops in Michigan must be doing the same thing, that's why they told me Rotella 15w40 would work. My BMW buddy says that if you go to the Bloomfield Hills, Mi dealer the parts department will give you Valvoline 10W-40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back