BMW dealer telling me BMW won't cover wheels because of Ceramic Coating??

I took my car into Motorwerks BMW so they could look at the two wheels that were peeling (I can literally scrap the clear coat off with my fingernail). The service writer is telling me the ceramic coating is peeling and not the wheel's finish. How can ceramic coating peel? You can't peel wax off a car. How can you peel ceramic coating? I took it to another dealership and they told me the same thing. BMW won't cover the wheels since they've been coated. Seems like a bunch of b.s. I might take it to another BMW dealer and not tell them the wheels been coated. From my understanding, BMW pays techs. for warranty work. So what the hell 🤣

Attachments

• 296955347_3238578883061443_1837802016464983185_n.jpg
    296955347_3238578883061443_1837802016464983185_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 203
How can ceramic coating peel?
Ceramic coatings cannot peel - they are not thick enough for this to happen. But the carrier liquid used for some of these coatings can be extremely caustic, so perhaps BMW has concerns that the carrier has attacked the finish.

You probably should've kept your mouth shut. It was the equivalent of showing up to the dealer with an engine concern and saying you only used 20W50 for oil changes.

Ceramic coatings cannot peel - they are not thick enough for this to happen. But the carrier liquid used for some of these coatings can be extremely caustic, so perhaps BMW has concerns that the carrier has attacked the finish.

You probably should've kept your mouth shut. It was the equivalent of showing up to the dealer with an engine concern and saying you only used 20W50 for oil changes.
Well, one last dealership I'll visit. This time, I'll keep my mouth shut

1. Check BMW forums to see if this is happening to other owners with the same wheels. If so, it's a BMW problem.

2. Was this part of a dealer "appearance package"? Then seek remedies from the dealer or company who applied it, they probably have a warranty.

3. You might have a case with the ceramic coating company but good luck having them pay for the wheels

The dealer gets reimbursed for the rims by from BMW NA. If BMW NA determines that the rims have some sort of coating the dealership runs the risk of not getting reimbursed. BMW NA has no idea what products were used in the process of applying the ceramic coating.

It's extremely odd for two rims on the same car to have peeling clearcoat. It's a red flag for sure.

As he holds the jug of supertech in his hand at the dealership..... 😅😅😅

Back