BMW CEO steps away after market loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let us look by model (sheet is too big so just copied top to bottom) you guys can go here to get the same data.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by edyvw

So what you saying is, I take my kids and put them in my checking account and drive down the road 80mph?

No, you are saying that.

Thats a facile analogy.

UD

No it is not.
I was one in one committee where former Marine colonel was giving presentation on cloud based security clearances and how would that increase efficiency of incident commands during natural disasters. I was only non-IT person there. After his presentation first question by 3 IT engineers was: so? Why is that important.
I had to translate them practical application of that. They were only interested in 0 and 1.
So, I think, I think, there is a BIG difference between hacking your checking account and hacking vehicle that transports your kids to daycare or takes you to the work.

Cars have been hackable for a while now.

Every automaker is STRIVING to reach OTA update capability.

GM has announced they will get there in 2022. over a decade later than tesla.

Whether you trust it or not the market is heading there and the leader in the space is Tesla.

UD

Whether you trust it or not the market is heading there and the leader in the space is Tesla.

The only reason Tesla is a "leader" in space is because of taxpayer money being handed to them by the gov't.

UD

LOL. Argument: Whether you trust it or not, market is going there. My neighbor dog died yesterday.

That is how that sounds.

Originally Posted by 4WD
US Market Share

Let's look at the US auto sales figures by brand and sort by growth.

Im using goodbadcar.com as the source.

[Linked Image]

According to that spreadsheet, Mitsubishi is doing quite well.

The reality though is that Mitsubishi is slowly fading from the US market. Their dealership network is shrinking and support is waning. These statistics need some context.

There are some tricks that Tesla uses to boost sales figures. They have been called on that before. A down payment should not be a sale until a vehicle is delivered to the customer.

Which shell is the pea under?

You can go back and pull past data f you want to look at more context than YTD change

Everyone here has their tricks. Big guys use rental fleets to play all kinds of volume games.

All care about does it pass audit or not.

Last edited:
Anybody notice a missing car on the model sheet ?

Where is the BMW M3?

UD

Anybody notice a missing car on the model sheet ?

Where is the BMW M3?

UD

M3 has to be driven. Tesla does not require that knowledge.

So they stuck a 4G hotspot in a car to make OTA updates seem something special? Any computer can do that, all it needs is a signal.

In the US Telsa Model 3 outsells all BMW 3 series by a huge margin

46K to 16K

Looks like its had a better month, but overall sales are down over 20% from YTY.

Many people assured the guy at BMW this simply couldn't happen - now hes losing his job.

UD

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 1.11.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

So they stuck a 4G hotspot in a car to make OTA updates seem something special? Any computer can do that, all it needs is a signal.

HA - Why is it taking everyone so long if thats all there is to it?

The rest of the car needs to be able actually to update itself.

Honda guys have to take civics in for update because of fuel fouling the oil - what a pain!

Its ludicrous I have to use USB drives to update the map in my ridgeline when the unit can see the wireless connection from the driveway.

Selling less connectivity on safety is simply sour grapes.

Selling less connectivity as a feature is laughable and not the market direction.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD

The only reason Tesla is a "leader" in space is because of taxpayer money being handed to them by the gov't.

The only reason any automaker is even alive is from money being handed to them by the gov't.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Jalopnik is a horrible source. Fake news and more.

This entire thread is based on a Jalopnik article.

Last edited:

HA - Why is it taking everyone so long if thats all there is to it?

The rest of the car needs to be able actually to update itself.

Honda guys have to take civics in for update because of fuel fouling the oil - what a pain!

Its ludicrous I have to use USB drives to update the map in my ridgeline when the unit can see the wireless connection from the driveway.

I have no idea why fuel diluting the oil has anything to do with a software update, does honda think an OTA update to the piston rings will fix fuel diluting the oil?

Bad signal can and will cause corrupted or incomplete downloads. Computers get bricked all the time because of failed updates. Shoot, we've had servers go down because of a bad update. Now imagine having a $35,000 brick in your driveway or anywhere else because the update failed; that's Apple and Google always recommend updating their phones with a strong wifi signal instead of 4G also. It's redundancy. If the update fails at the dealership, at least the techs are already there and can reflash the module.

Last edited:
Larry Ellison doenst have a prob with the tech.

Honda requires users to return to the shop for the patch. If they had OTA their clients wouldn't have to make the trip.

Sure commercial OS stuff bricks- very few cases of teslas bricking. It's a dedicated OS

Not having the feature because of a possible problem is yesterdays thinking - same train of thought like fuel injection and anti lock brakes causing problems.

UD

Last edited:
Manufacturers having the capability of doing OTA updates, and then doing them, scares the heck out of me. Imagine every vehicle of a specific model from a manufacturer taking a bad update from the manufacturer at the same time and all going dead at the same time. It would be a nightmare!

Originally Posted by wag123
Manufacturers having the capability of doing OTA updates, and then doing them, scares the heck out of me. Imagine every vehicle of a specific model from a manufacturer taking a bad update from the manufacturer at the same time and all going dead at the same time. It would be a nightmare!

Simple fix -Turn it off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123

Does the update take hold immediately upon delivery or is there a reboot required, in this case shutting the car system off and back on?

Most consumer systems I see will take the update but need the reboot to verify it and then install it. This could be done at night while charging just like my iPhone.

I don't see a need for a update while a vehicle is on the road so it could accept it and then apply it at a suitable time thus alleviating the fears of a system error while driving.

Dave, what is your answer here since you know all things Tesla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back