BMW CEO steps away after market loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely expensive, 1 sausage 3 sizes styling (like the rest of them, all the sausages look the same too bertween manufacturers) techno gadget laden cars that intimidate older owners, that are no longer reliable, require excessive maintenance and repairs, and will not last. Unless youre a little more well off then the next guy, I see alot of people moving into cheaper more reliable cars. I have alot, alot of customers leaving BMW and Audi and going to Japanese for the ease of repairs.

Also this https://twitter.com/ade3/status/652887192818159616

Last edited:
I wonder what the percentage of repeat buyers there are for German cars.

When I was younger I always wanted to buy a German luxury car.

Never had excess money to buy one. Given the stories I've heard from co-workers, I'm glad I never did.

Originally Posted by madRiver
BMW CEO is stepping away after losing sales lead to MB and no traction with electric after early start and least profits since recession.

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-ceo-steps-down-after-a-too-cautious-strategy-loses-1836147994

Myself just thought the lineup was expensive for how boring they looked. MB and Audi if I were in market for German luxury.

The article is BS. The numbers have been fine. All of the german luxury makes are in the same boat. Consumer tastes are changing moving from driving tech towards riding tech. It's what the smartphone crowds want.

At one time BMW and Mercedes, Volvo all produced stodgy sedans that were 4 -6 cyls. They werent fast or sleek like Italian cars. They were useful and reliable and would run forever with a little maintenance. Now it seems that Euro cars are best leased.
grin2.gif

It seems 90% of the time German autos are discussed on here the reliability factor is brought up.
My wife and I drove Japanese until she started making good money. She made $270K last year, I made $77K. No mortgage and zero debt.
Her Audi hasn't given her any trouble.

long time ago - wife and I looked and test drove one at length in 99.
quirky options, to get a power seat you had to spend $3500 for a luxury package, most Japanese cars then had power seat as standard. the mechanical seat adjustment I thought was strange.
It drove great and braked great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
BMW CEO is stepping away after losing sales lead to MB and no traction with electric after early start and least profits since recession.

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-ceo-steps-down-after-a-too-cautious-strategy-loses-1836147994

Myself just thought the lineup was expensive for how boring they looked. MB and Audi if I were in market for German luxury.

I agree the current BMW lineup is very boring except the M cars.

Lexus is where I'd spend my money if I was buying or leasing a fancy car.

Originally Posted by Audios
Extremely expensive, 1 sausage 3 sizes styling (like the rest of them, all the sausages look the same too bertween manufacturers) techno gadget laden cars that intimidate older owners, that are no longer reliable, require excessive maintenance and repairs, and will not last. Unless youre a little more well off then the next guy, I see alot of people moving into cheaper more reliable cars. I have alot, alot of customers leaving BMW and Audi and going to Japanese for the ease of repairs.

Also this https://twitter.com/ade3/status/652887192818159616

Audios: Correction... That would be 1 Bratwurst 3 sizes styling...

I've always like BMW from the outside, the inside for me was a letdown! I tried the 5 series, ended up buying a MB E350 (2008) which I loved inside & out.

As far as reliability no german car is built for the average north-american car mentality (no offense) They have to maintained by the book and religiously, if you do that you aren't likely to have any problems. Servicing is expensive and those electronics drive you up the wall, my Benz did not have a good or even decent Nav system, so I went to Lexus which I thought would have a better supplier in as much as they have a reputation for reliability to protect. I don't like it as much as my Benz, but it's quite comfortable and service has been stellar.

I truly love sports and sporty cars. BMW marketed their brand towards people like me. Choosing the right BMW will result in satisfying driving dynamics.

But I'm not stupid. Many of BMW's products start to deteriorate within two years of purchase. Especially in hot climates. I looked at a 2 year old Z4M that had about 40,000 miles. The steering wheel buttons and various dash components were reverting back to the "GOO" they were made from. The check engine light came on during the test drive, and the engine lost all power. Interestingly, this WAS NOT an isolated incident. Owners were selling them because they recognized the problems. 100% of the ones I looked at were deteriorating.

It's no surprise BMW's "ultimate driving machine" is now a market loss leader. I don't want the problems, and neither do my friends.

Last edited:
The incumbents failure to respond to the market leader appropriately and with fud has completely changed the landscape.

Given the latest audis recall, and lack of relative efficiency (cant match 2012 teslas) the big guys are a long way away from even getting to par.
Oh... they can build coaches and ice engines - but the market has shifted.

The little new Tesla SUV will likely sweep the premium marketplace further.

UD

Model 3 sales 2018.jpg

Last edited:
Can't say I didn't see this coming.

There are many reasons for this, but I focus on the product lineup being too diverse and competitors offering comparable products with better reliability, lower costs etc.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

There are many reasons for this, but I focus on the product lineup being too diverse and competitors offering comparable products with better reliability, lower costs etc.
coffee2.gif

This is very true. When I started fixing cars (2002) there were about 15 models across BMWs range. Now there are 17 M configurations and over 55 models to choose from. How can this be sustainable?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

+1, and the blood bath has just begun.

Tesla is taking market share; actually making a hot market is more like it.
Drive one; you will see.

I ask our visitors which car do they want to ride in?
The new RX450h or the new Model 3?
It is always "The Tesla!" before I finish the question.
I counter the RX is really comfortable, bigger, etc. "The Tesla!"

The Model 3 is not for everyone. But is becoming more so.
95K cars delivered in Q2; another record. Wait until the Model Y comes out.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Drive one; you will see.

I don't think that the Model 3 is taking any of the RX450h market share, they are two vastly different vehicles.
Personally, between the two I would take the RX450h without hesitation.
Out of curiosity I took a close look at the Model 3 and was not impressed. IMO there won't be any market for used Model 3s in ten years so it would be a smart move to lease it if a person really wanted one.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Drive one; you will see.

Two totally different vehicles. One is a sedan, the other is a crossover.

The comparison should be with the Tesla crossover, whatever that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back