BMW/Castrol 10W-60, 4500 miles, 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Blackstone: "The oil measured in the SAE 50 range" "Flashpoint 350f"

Redline: "Flashpoint 478f" "HT/HS 4.7cP" "Best choice for high-performance engines that see street/strip or track activity. Features a thicker oil film at operating temperature than a petro-based 20W-50"

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/motoroils.pdf

Oh yeah, the BMW oil is definately better.

You omitted that line from the report stating that the sample was 1.3% gasoline. No, that wouldn't have ANY affect on the flash point........

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]maybe try some Redline 10W-40?

Not in a M model.

Why not? Do tell. The World is watching.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

Why not? Do tell. The World is watching.

Warranty.

I don't care what the specs are of the oil you're proposing, warranty would be a significant concern for me if it were my MY2008 M.

Trajan said "not in an M model" specificly. It wasn't a question of waranty compliance, although the burden would be on BMW to prove the oil caused the failure, just like the burden is on Trajan to explain how Redline 10w-40 would be a bad oil for an "M model".

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Redline: "Flashpoint 478f" "HT/HS 4.7cP" "Best choice for high-performance engines that see street/strip or track activity. Features a thicker oil film at operating temperature than a petro-based 20W-50"

You omitted that line from the report stating that the sample was 1.3% gasoline. No, that wouldn't have ANY affect on the flash point........

I thought you were about to post the BMW's flashpoint.

I thought you were about to post the BMW's flashpoint.

I don't know what it is. And neither do you. You were quoting it from Blackstone, of which, the sample taken had 1.3% fuel dilution, which obviously would have a major impact on the flash point.

AJ, I've just worked out your problem. You despise BMW owners. well let me explain we are not all rich idiots. I'm unemployed, does that do it for you, because I'm at a loss to get on to your weave length?

Since this appears to be a "gotcha" game and because it's not a "BMW oil" but a Castrol oil....

Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 (which is the current name for it) has an HTHS of 5.4.

VOA's show a flashpoint of > 450 F.

Redline's product is nice too, but you shouldn't be knocking on castrol's oil with incomplete and misleading statements.

Thanks Joe. 5.4cP exceeds what I believe is needed for street use, just a guess there. Most of the blown lower ends occur off public roads. I assume the tested oil's +150c HT/HS visc is similarly degraded 20% from the +100c visc, making the projected HT/HS about 4.2 centi-poise. After 15k miles, it's likely become much lower still.

I'm not "knocking" the BMW oil, just analyzing what's in the engine after a few 1000 miles, and helping members understand why the assertion that Redline 10w-40's unsuitable in an M engine is flawed.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
AJ, I've just worked out your problem. You despise BMW owners. well let me explain we are not all rich idiots. I'm unemployed, does that do it for you, because I'm at a loss to get on to your weave length?

That's funny, and off-topic. However, I'll take you up on that and assert maybe it's the other way around, BMW owners hate teh Junkie. If I went under a Beemer-friendly name, like "BMW Tech 2010" maybe they would be a little more open-minded if I said to go ahead and use dino oil in their lil baby, like Terry Dyson did.

As far that the "rich idiot" goes, my recommendations include a cost-benefit analysis, it's not my fault someone does not heed it.
21.gif

fwiw, I get positive feedbck all the time from dozens of guys who use not only unspeced oil, but dino oil in their non-turbo Audis...ALL THE TIME. PCMO and HDMO is a given on Forums I go to and in the Euro cars I work on. You have to understand, I have a life outside Bob's too.
25.gif

I tend to agree with you, as I stated above. Redline 5w40 and several other oils would probably be preferable in these engines.

go ahead and use dino oil in their lil baby, like Terry Dyson did.

Which dino does he recommend and at what OCI? Just curious, as he's never recommended it to me... He actually recommended synthetic AND some extra additivies like LC20.

Pete, if you reread that other BMW thread, a member explains how he was doing ARX w/Dyson analysis and Terry told him it was fine to run 40 weight dino in his late-model BMW.

I'm not going to expand on that, but I think we all know how it speaks to the rabid yapping puppy's attacks on the notion.

There is very little difference, in a broad sense, between a synthetic and dino oil in an n/a engine over a few thousand miles (i.e. the autorx prescription)

I'm not going to expand on that, but I think we all know how it speaks to the rabid yapping puppy's attacks on the notion.

Yes, we do.

As your response to Doug, or anyone else who disagrees with or dares to suggest that BMW spec'd oil is fine, well demostrates.

I'm currently running Motul 300V 5W40 in my Z4M. Oil now has around 1500mi, I will do a blackstone analysis when the oil has roughly 2500mi.

Impression:

faster warm up
motor does not feel sluggish vs. running 10W60 Castrol stuff
I'll stick to the 40wt if lab analysis shows no abnormal wear

Some Euro PCMO 5w-40s have HT/HS of 3.5cP while Diesel 5w-40 HD oils have a 4.1cP. I'd bear that in mind when selecting a 5w-40 oil.

Pete, if you reread that other BMW thread, a member explains how he was doing ARX w/Dyson analysis and Terry told him it was fine to run 40 weight dino in his late-model BMW.

ARX is one thing, but does Terry recommend running mineral oil outside of the ARX regimen?

You'll have to ask him or his client. Most of Terry's work is propritary.

Oh, OK. So again, I have to validate (or disprove) your claims for you.
smirk2.gif

BTW, I don't use Terry's services anymore. With the recent price hikes, I don't really see the value, at least not in my current applications.

HT/HS visc is what matters, not the label visc, doh. If you knew anything about oil, you'd know Redline 10w-40 has the necessary HT/HS visc, lol.That's why he recommended it!

I also happened to know for a fact, that the awesome PTG M3 Racer uses NOT the speced TSW Motorsports 10w-60, rather Syntec 5w-50.

Bmw.jpg

I guess they forgot to ask some first-timers what oil they should use. Maybe you should contact them and explain how the "specs" work.

How does retaining the warranty on a car by running the oil spec'd for it relate to a race car run on a circuit with no warranty of any kind?

Good question. But what is his answer? To use his phrase, the world is watching.

You'll have to ask him or his client. Most of Terry's work is propritary.

Well, I did manage to get an answer from the horse's mouth, and it sure ain't mineral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back