BMW $5,300 trany replacement estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a price quote of $5,300 to remove and replace an BMW 4l30e and replace with a BMW remanufactured trany with a 2 year unlimited mileage warrenty from a local lexington, KY BMW dealer. About $1,000 was for labor.

Far higher than I have heard before. Just a point of reference for those interested. Actually a bit shocking. BTW, my trany seems fine. However, you neve know :)

Anyone know of a quality rebuild place that ships nationally? TIA

Is that for an auto tranny in your 525 that they want $5300 to replace it for?

My suggestion would be to DIY and save about $4000 or do some searching on http://www.bimmerforums.com. I'm you can get it cheaper, the car is probably not worth $5300 (no offense intended, just saying).

Originally Posted By: Russell

You can buy a BMW 4L30E transmission from Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions for $1109 shipped to your door, and that includes the return freight for the core.

European Transmissions in Atlanta is selling them for $1250 + shipping but they are out-of-stock.

Critic, thanks for the links to the reman sources. Also, I belong and post on about 4 different BMW forums.

I never really meant to go to the dealer If or when I have a trany failure. They were my high end reference point. I am just exporing the options in advance.

I think i even have some local rebuild options. They are pricing for me now. I will have my local BMW Indy install if purchased form out of town. This is one task I will not do myself.

i would ask the dealer to call his doctor and ask them for an estimate on size 12 boot removal from [censored]. ask about head removal as well. sounds like they need it. its always nice to know that you are helping some poor BMW dealership mechanic make his monthly boat payment.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
You can buy a BMW 4L30E transmission from Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions for $1109 shipped to your door, and that includes the return freight for the core.

European Transmissions in Atlanta is selling them for $1250 + shipping but they are out-of-stock.

Exactly. The 4L30E (with a different torque converter) was also used in 1992-2003 Isuzu Troopers and Rodeos. Not the most common French made, GM transmission, but they can be had for under $2K. BTW, the 4L30E was actually a Chevy Chevette 3spd with an auxilliary OD/4th gear casing and electronics added! Nice right?

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK

Exactly. The 4L30E (with a different torque converter) was also used in 1992-2003 Isuzu Troopers and Rodeos. Not the most common French made, GM transmission, but they can be had for under $2K. BTW, the 4L30E was actually a Chevy Chevette 3spd with an auxilliary OD/4th gear casing and electronics added! Nice right?

Joel

Wow, if that unit somehow passed through the former Yougoslavia, it would hit every check mark in my book.

Unforunatly,I know most of the negative stuff on this transmission. BMW has used versions of this trany in a lot of their cars. IMO, a major black mark on the companies rep.

Also, a lot of people go to manual conversions upon failure. Not an option according to my wife after we previously had two manual trany BMWS which I loved. This why I am looking at trany repair options.

I just am paranoid enough to think this trany will fail on me someday even with fluid and filter changes every 30,000 miles. The latest fluid/filter was with Castrol Dexron VI.

I do appreciate this info. More info is better!

That is a great deal since they are running $1000-$1100 in the salvage yards.

Unforunatly,I know most of the negative stuff on this transmission. BMW has used versions of this trany in a lot of their cars. IMO, a major black mark on the companies rep.

That's debatable. I've seen many reports of 4L30Es going many years and close to 200Kmi in heavy, hot running Isuzu 4x4/truck applications. That's pretty much on par with most autos. Yes the 4L30E is an odd duck, with the 4th gear 'adapter' housing w/ separate pan bolted to the bellhousing end. The most common issue with them is the transmission range sensor giving false readings to the PCM, causing harsh and erratic shifts. Many a shop diagnoses this as a bad transmission, when just a TRS cleaning or replacement solves the problem. Oh... the other HUGE issue with the 4L30E, is when Isuzu (not sure if BMW spec'd them this way) eliminated the ATF dipstick and went with ridiculous pan drain bolts for checking level, draining and filling. This led to owners not checking ATF level or condition and burning the units up.

Joel

JTK, I specifically meant failure in BMW transmissions. Yes BMW eliminated the dipstick which meant, for me, my indy had to change fluid and filter.

Russell, it's the same transmission bolted to a different engine. The torque converter and slightly different software are the only difference between an Isuzu and BMW 4L30E. The early Cadillac Catera also used the 4L30E.

Joel

I just am paranoid enough to think this trany will fail on me someday even with fluid and filter changes every 30,000 miles.

I don't think that planning ahead for a probable outcome is a sign of paranoia. My parents have been shopping for a new central heating unit and refridgerator. Why? Because they are getting old. No problems, aside from they are old. So, next (insert date), when it goes out, they have a plan, and instead of looking hectically for a new one, they only have to find the best price at that time.

Last edited:
With the profound reliability issues with BMW's and Mercedes, why would ANYONE buy one when they could get the most reliable luxury car in the world, and for less $: Lexus

Could the desire of status drive one to an inferior car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back