BMW 335xi transfer case fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend has a 2007 BMW 335xi and is need of a fluid for the transfer case. What works for these cars besides the BMW fluid at +$50 a quart.

I'm using "RAVENOL J1C1125 Transfer Case Fluid TF-0870 - Full Synthetic" in the 2013 xdrive - Its about $30 on amazon and has been in the car for 10k miles with no issues.

How many quarts does it take? Maybe email Redline and see if they have anything compatible?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Nothing.

Don't mess around, buy the BMW fluid.

Agreed; in addition the transfer case adaptations will need to be reset. As stated in the BMW service procedure:

Oil Monitoring is performed by the VTG control module to determine when a service (change) is due. The VTG calculates transfer case and clutch wear based on the amount
of slip, engagement pressure (torque), speed and mileage. This calculation accounts for normal “dry” road driving, “adverse” road driving and
“other” road extreme driving. Depending on individual vehicle use - driving styles and driving conditions, the transfer case oil service interval will vary.
When a service is due, this will be indicated by a Fault Code and additional details are available using the DISplus/ GT1. Service functions provide directions on changing the
transfer case oil and updating the VTG control module with the necessary reset and adaption procedure. This is extremely important for CBS.

It's not just a simple drain and fill.

I'd go with the BMW fluid, reset the transfer case adaptations using either INSTA+ or other software tool. You should also drain and refill both differentials if they haven't been done yet. The front differentials is mounted next to the engine block, and tends to run hotter then the rear.

FCPeuro.com, bavauto.com are a couple suggestions.

Motul Multi DCTF is approved, along with Shell TF0870, who manufactures it for BMW. Ive used the blue Fuchs low fritction ATF for Mercedes in there as well, with no issues for about 3 years since it was released. Might be a good time to pull the actuator motor and check the teeth while youre in there. And of course reset the oil wear light and reset adaptations.

Thank you all for the information, I will pass it along to my friend.

When the fluid needs changing a fault code is set in the VTG module, but the code doesn't illuminate any warning lamp; the module has to be interrogated by the BMW diagnostic tool.

My friend changed the fluid with genuine BMW fluid and performed a reset via the BMW software. All is good now. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Motul Multi DCTF is approved, along with Shell TF0870, who manufactures it for BMW. Ive used the blue Fuchs low fritction ATF for Mercedes in there as well, with no issues for about 3 years since it was released. Might be a good time to pull the actuator motor and check the teeth while youre in there. And of course reset the oil wear light and reset adaptations.

I thought BMW called for Castrol SAF-XO with a little Sturaco additive - or is that the VAG versions of that same ZF 6HP/8HP tranny with different transfer case?

Originally Posted By: nthach
I thought BMW called for Castrol SAF-XO with a little Sturaco additive - or is that the VAG versions of that same ZF 6HP/8HP tranny with different transfer case?

xDrive transfer cases (E70, E90, etc generation BMWs) are clutch based and require TF 0870, unlike the older xi transfer cases in E46, etc.
The new ones basically operate in RWD mode until 4WD is needed and a clutch engages to send power to the front axle. New ones are chain-based, older ones are gear-based.

Last edited:
Just wanted to confirm some information here from the REAL experts for my X5 E70 3.0si 2007.
My mechanic is PARANOID and all he does recommends INSANE priced OEM BMW fluids for my X5 E70 3.0si 2007 that ...has 200k miles and already changed the transmission!
So I am obviously reluctant to put insane priced fills into a car that has some mileage. I want to keep prices in check.

OK so my questions are (apologies if I got infected with PARANOIA and some are reiterations):

Q1`
Can I use Motul DCTF for the BMW X5 E70 2008 3.0 si ATC700 transfer case?

http://www.worldpac.com/sdmedia/pdfs/motul/Multi_DCTF_(GB).pdf

I also see....
Ravenol TF-0870 and of course the INSANE priced BMW DTF-1
This is the ATC700 transfer case http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FE43-USA-02-2006-E70-BMW-X5_30si&diagId=27_0038

Q2.
For differentials. Both front and back.

Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 188L
API GL-5 oraz SAE 75W-90.Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90

be ok? is it one liter for back and one liter for front?
I am not sure what 188L means.

I would enormously appreciate what you have used for those fills to share.

Front Axle is:OE fluid 83222365987 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FE43-USA-02-2006-E70-BMW-X5_30si&diagId=31_0794
Rear Axle is: OE fluid 83222365987 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FE43-USA-02-2006-E70-BMW-X5_30si&diagId=33_1388

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios

I am glad you posted it here... but one question..how do you know it is approved? Is it approved by BMW or you are inferring it from Motul website?
We are discussing it here extensiveley and Motul is not even bothering to post

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...e70-3-0si-2007-transfer-case#Post5024487

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back