BMW 0W-40....Is it synthetic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up some BMW 0W-40, but it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle that it's synthetic.
It does say ACEA A3/B3/B4 and Quality Longlife-01.

The back label is a fold-out and it basically stipulates: Top quality engine oil. Developed for your BMW. Tested by BMW. See the BMW service instructions for details of suitability for the engine.

It has a warning that states: Contains Calcium sulphonate & Phenol, bis (1,1-dimethylethyl) dodecyl-. May produce an allergic reaction. Do these products make it a synthetic??? Is it even possible to make a 0w-40 conventional?

Dr. T,

It has to be synthetic. Please go to this link and click BMW. You will see the requirements for BMW Long-Life 01. One of requirements is that Designated Base Oil must be Chemical synthetic oil.

I hope this helps.

Castrol makes all BMW lubricants. This is just rebottled Castrol Formula R 0w40, which is a full synthetic.

Synthetic. If it's made in Germany, then the shipper is Burmah oil (indicated only on cartoon boxes or in shipping docs). No info whether it's the same Castrol OW-40 or a special custom blend for BMW.

It smells like a PAO...a little like the Castrol TWS 10-60. A sweet smelling PAO (ie. PAO+Ester).

I also thought it might be the Castrol R 0-40. It definately would be re-badged as the label has no mention of Castrol anywhere on it. Only: Made in Germany exclusively for BMW AG - D-80788 Munchen - Tel.0049-(0)89-3117008 and a BMW Part #.

In either case, it's definately robust...a LOT thicker than I thought it would be for a 0-40...and I've used M-1 0-40 before...

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Castrol makes all BMW lubricants. This is just rebottled Castrol Formula R 0w40, which is a full synthetic.

Isn't this oil a very thin 40wt of under 13cst? If so, we may finally have convinced Dr.T that a 30wt oil can do a good job, since this oil might possibly turn into a 30wt halfway through his OCI.
smile.gif

Are we finally going to see a UOA from you Dr.T?

Sorry, by "smells like a PAO" I mean...it smells a little like "Elmers' glue" or a M-1-type of smell.

Yes, I thought the Castrol R 0-40 was on the thinner side of a 40, but I've used other 40 weights eg. M-1 and Havoline synths..and this ain't no 'thin' 40 weight. Fuel mileage bears this out too...

Yes...a UOA will be in the horizon...as long as I find a suitable oil for a 10k mi. interval...
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

Yes...a UOA will be in the horizon...as long as I find a suitable oil for a 10k mi. interval...
cheers.gif

But how are you going to know which one to choose if you haven't been doing UOAs all along?
smile.gif

I want to find an oil that meets the following criteria before doing a UOA:

1. One that provides the most cleanliness (as inspected visually from the oil filler cap)

2. Lowest consumption possible.

3. No mail order. I want to be able to purchase how much I want when I want it locally. ie. OTC.

Then comes the UOA...not after trying one for 3k...
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I paid $13.60 Can.

If this oil turns out to be only about 12.8 or 12.9 cst, and it's basically Castrol 0w40, you should've just got GC 0w30, which is not that much thinner, and is half the price you paid.

I would imagine 0w40 Castrol Formula R isn't all that much different in formulation compared to SLX 0w30.

We'll find out...

But one thing's for sure....it's NOT green
grin.gif

bis (1,1-dimethylethyl) dodecyl

1,1-dimethylethyl is a synonym for Isobutene and or Hexthane, and PAO's can be made from it. Bis dodecyl is an widely used term with many differnet chemicals, but one use is with solvents maybe esters?

Were's all the Chemical Engineers?

[ January 30, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Bob Woods ]

Around a year ago the BMW dealers had imported or same as and made in the USA Valvoline MXL 0w-40 in the bulk drums . Guessing things have changed and this oil is in their bulk barrels ?

Interesting question...I recently leased an Audi and the dealership staff insists it comes with dino, but the owner's manual says it was filled with 0W30 at the factory. I wasn't aware there were any dino 0w30s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back