BMS/S&B Intake for Giulia 2.0T

Good morning,

I’ll be the first to acknowledge that aftermarket CAI/Intakes on modern vehicles do very little, if anything at all when it comes to performance. That combined with filters that are usually less efficient typically results in me staying stock.

The Giulia basically comes with a CAI from factory so I had every intention of keeping it stock. However, I wanted to hear a bit more turbo, since in stock form the vehicle is extremely quiet. I stumbled on this kit from Burger Motorsports which utilizes an S&B element. At $155 out the door, it’s much cheaper than the $450+ alternatives. It’s also the only system that retains all factory components with the exception of element. According to S&B the element is good for 99% efficiency using course dust during ISO 5011 testing. Not as good as my preferred AEM DryFlow, but not horrible.

She’s not the prettiest system in the world. But now I get to satisfy my inner child with some turbo noises.

Edit: I’ve already reported this to be moved to Air Filters. My mistake!

Attachments

• 200EB780-334A-4839-B5BE-45672EC3B2B0.jpeg
    200EB780-334A-4839-B5BE-45672EC3B2B0.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 75
  • 3A572C4D-C2D7-416F-80FC-07642F8AFC09.jpeg
    3A572C4D-C2D7-416F-80FC-07642F8AFC09.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 74
  • E57FEBED-098D-4E5F-89DF-C71F98118281.jpeg
    E57FEBED-098D-4E5F-89DF-C71F98118281.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 76
  • 61106A66-44CD-46B1-8E38-6C33CC1BC9BA.jpeg
    61106A66-44CD-46B1-8E38-6C33CC1BC9BA.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 72
What a free-flow air filter kit/intake does on the engine depends on the engine.

Turbo's always benefit from freer breathing... more so than NA applications

Those are real pretty cars. It is on my soon to be short list to replace something in my garage. If you would share your experience with its ownership I would appreciate to hear about its foibles.

1619640521662.jpg

Those are real pretty cars. It is on my soon to be short list to replace something in my garage. If you would share your experience with its ownership I would appreciate to hear about its foibles.

View attachment 55605

Of course! Here’s a review I did at the 1 year mark. Since then, nothing really changed. Still love the car and have no plans on changing it any time soon.

Feel free to DM with any specific questions or feedback you’re looking for.

Of course! Here’s a review I did at the 1 year mark. Since then, nothing really changed. Still love the car and have no plans on changing it any time soon.

Feel free to DM with any specific questions or feedback you’re looking for.
From reading your review the dust storm you kicked up is blinding.

1619646586663.jpg

Looks good to me! Those are cool cars, one of my son's buddy's dad has one and we did some drag racing with it vs. my tuned-to-the-moon VW Sportwagen, great fun. He runs a JB4 on his for a little extra omph. Extra turbo noises are so fun....I'd say that intake will be just fine. I run K&Ns on all of our cars and on my open-intake for the VW wagon, no drama with bad UOAs etc. Just needs to be cleaned more frequently with the open setups like this.

It’s the BITOG way, unless you drive a Japanese vehicle or Crown Vic you’re foolish. Haven’t you heard? 😉
So hard for some to understand that car ownership is more than the color beige for many. I'm a VW owner...trust me, I get it. Imagine how boring it would be to drive a Camry...

Julia's are simply gorgeous. 😍

If you want to hear more turbine though? Don't tamper with a perfectly factory made intake.

You want to hear the rush and whine of that turbine from an aftermarket exhaust. She already takes it up in bushels. You want her to push it out in tons.

If you want to hear her scream under boost, I'd open up her tail end instead.

The intake mods however will let you hear her growl and grunt when you first put your boot in her butt... but a genuine turbine engine under boost almost always give you that shrill scream that broadcasts with a tuned exhaust setup.

.... *screeeeeeee!*

Julia's are simply gorgeous. 😍

If you want to hear more turbine though? Don't tamper with a perfectly factory made intake.

You want to hear the rush and whine of that turbine from an aftermarket exhaust. She already takes it up in bushels. You want her to push it out in tons.

If you want to hear her scream under boost, I'd open up her tail end instead.

The intake mods however will let you hear her growl and grunt when you first put your boot in her butt... but a genuine turbine engine under boost almost always give you that shrill scream that broadcasts with a tuned exhaust setup.

.... *screeeeeeee!*
Typically you hear the turbo whine and diverter valve pshhhhhh with an open intake, not an exhaust. I know that's how my Sportwagen is. Open intake = tons of turbo noise.

I never had the luxury of a Eurocar in all my life.

I've only gotten my paws on American muscle and bolt- on mods and tunes. So I was squarely speaking within my sphere of influence and wasn't trying to misinform.

An open intake can seriously make a pop-hiss-*ROAR* on a throttle snap on a deep long drag. Of course we know the prattle and pop-a-bang thunder and flame pop on a wicked exhaust.

Opening the intake on a supercharged monster really gives you that edgy power saw shriek. Think how even a stock Hellcat sounds like as she sucks air directly from a headlight assembly.

But if you want busy sounding turbine noise (in an American vehicle) I've just found that to get that whistle-*SCREAM* under boost? The tail end is what's going to do it.

Dunno though, haven't hung around with tuners and modders scene lately. Covid is killing us all off slowly. 😔

Last edited:
I never had the luxury of a Eurocar in all my life.

I've only gotten my paws on American muscle and bolt- on mods and tunes. So I was squarely speaking within my sphere of influence and wasn't trying to misinform.

An open intake can seriously make a pop-hiss-*ROAR* on a throttle snap on a deep long drag. Of course we know the prattle and pop-a-bang thunder and flame pop on a wicked exhaust.

Opening the intake on a supercharged monster really gives you that edgy power saw shriek. Think how even a stock Hellcat sounds like as she sucks air directly from a headlight assembly.

But if you want busy sounding turbine noise (in an American vehicle) I've just found that to get that whistle-*SCREAM* under boost? The tail end is what's going to do it.

Dunno though, haven't hung around with tuners and modders scene lately. Covid is killing us all off slowly. 😔
Yes, American naturally-aspirated muscle cars aren't going to give much from an intake, even supercharged. But for small displacement turbo engines like the OPs, intakes for noise are the go-to.

Yes, American naturally-aspirated muscle cars aren't going to give much from an intake, even supercharged. But for small displacement turbo engines like the OPs, intakes for noise are the go-to.
Right on man... thanks for the Intel. *^.^*

A few of the guys and I started a local club that meets monthly at the lot of (a thankfully) sanctioned O'Reilly's shop. They close doors and we bang the gavel on LBCT community.

(Little Black Chevy Truck)

We don't care how old, rusty, or risky. As long as she does the work, runs strong and has obvious love and can peel a wheel? You're one of us!

Off topic, I know so I'm going to back out before I embarrass myself further. Carry on and be righteous. *^.^*

Back