Bluetooth weirdness “iPhone”

For the life of me I can’t figure this one out,, neither can I find any searches on google. Woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom checked my phone for the time and being my parents are out of state just making sure they didn’t contact me for any emergencies.

Anyway my iPhone which is fairly new SE 2020 completely up to date on software was connected via Bluetooth.. to a pair of jbl earbuds that were powered off in the charging pod. Also I haven’t used these earbuds in over 2 weeks. Very weird and also concerning I’m letting that technology watching over me fear kick in a little “are these earbuds spying”? I mean when the earbuds are docked in their charging pod they power off.

anyone with a similar situation? Waking up to find your phone connected to a powered off Bluetooth item.

Do the JBL devices have Find My... functionality?

Sounds like they aren’t truly powered off, and that’s the one thing I can think of that it would be waking up to check/update when supposed to be powered off.

Do the JBL devices have Find My... functionality?

Sounds like they aren’t truly powered off, and that’s the one thing I can think of that it would be waking up to check/update when supposed to be powered off.
I’ll see bout that find my feature. I mean it’s possible they were doing a firmware update just seems odd

I’ll see bout that find my feature. I mean it’s possible they were doing a firmware update just seems odd

I wasn’t thinking the devices were updating any software/firmware as much as I was thinking they were responding to polls from the phone so it can report their location if you have the phone do the Find My Device command later.

I like to consider myself fairly tech savvy being I grew up around PC's and all.. however I can't wrap my head around this one. I believe the fact that when a smartphone is powered off it's truly not "off".. however when these earbuds are docked in their charging pod closed they do physically shut down. Or do they lol

I like to consider myself fairly tech savvy being I grew up around PC's and all.. however I can't wrap my head around this one. I believe the fact that when a smartphone is powered off it's truly not "off".. however when these earbuds are docked in their charging pod closed they do physically shut down. Or do they lol

Ive noticed something kinda similar with some earbuds I have, but in my situation one or both ear buds is accidentally powered up upon insertion into their charging spot in the case because of poor placement of the bud’s power on/off button.

If the bud is not carefully inserted into its slot to charge, the edge of the a lot will depress the power button and turn it on.

This leaves the buds powered up and easily visible for automatic connections when the phone is close enough.

Im reticent to believe your buds are suffering from the same problem, as JBL is a known brand name and surely can produce a product that has had the bare minimum of testing done before release.

My non-name ear buds, on the other hand, appear to be made from hastily drawn up designs and manufactured using the absolute cheapest of labor, ostensibly making them susceptible to usage pains like I’ve encountered.

You may tank they are powered off but they are not, if they were, they would not be connected. This has nothing to do with your phone and everything to do with your earbuds.
With that said, simple as heck to turn off the bluetooth on your phone (or any phone) if you dont trust the devices that you have connected to it.

Some devices you have to turn off manually I've found with my iPhone. Dual head units are really bad about staying connected. I'm guessing the headphones must of powered on momentarily and it reconnected. Seen it with my sons headphones a couple times.

One thing I am confident saying is that it has nothing to do with your IPHONE and everything to do with your bluetooth device, in this case JBL earbuds.
Reason I say this is = either a device is on, sleeping or off. Its really that simple. The phone (any phone) looks for any devices that are powered on, if they weren't powered on and transmitting, the phone would not be able to find and connect with them.

I've had nothing but issues with my Apple Airpods since I installed iOS 14 on my XR. I'm to the point I'm about ready to go Android. Prior to iOs 14, they worked perfectly for months.

I didn’t want to spend the $$ on the AirPods. There’s plenty of good sounding ear buds that are compact and won’t break the bank. I would try unpairing the AirPods with your iPhone and reconnecting them. Or wait for an update I wouldn’t jump the gun of changing phones.
I believe I figured out the possible reason for the jbl earbuds turning on cause I noticed this again it’s possible when the rechargeable case gets low on charge it turns on as a distress to be recharged.

I don’t know your situation, but since iOS 14, I’ve noticed a random Bluetooth failure, drop, and reconnect in my Honda Accord. I wonder if some service is restarted on one end or the other, if that could do it...

Back