Bluenecks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bluenecks are Northerners -- the opposite of Rednecks. Because of Redneck jokes, here are some takes on how Southern folks look at Northerners (or how Northerners sometimes think of (themselves;)

YOU JUST MIGHT BE A BLUENECK IF...

Instead of referring to two or more people as "Y'all," you call them "you guys," even if both of them are women.

You think barbecue is a verb meaning "to cook "outside."

You think Heinz Ketchup is really SPICY.

You would never stop to buy something somebody was
cooking on the side of the road. (e.g., boiled peanuts) .

You don't have any problems pronouncing "Worcestershire sauce" correctly.

For breakfast, you would prefer potatoes-au-gratin to grits.

You don't know what a moon pie is.

You've never had an RC Cola.

You've never, ever eaten okra -- fried, boiled, or pickled.

You eat fried chicken with a knife and fork.

You've never seen a live chicken, and the only cows you've seen are on road trips.

You have no idea what a polecat is.

You don't see anything wrong with putting a sweater on your dog.

You don't have bangs.

You would rather have your son become a lawyer than grow up to get his own TV fishing show.

You drink either "Pop" or "Soda"- instead of "Cokes."

You've never eaten (nor do you know how to make one) a tomato sandwich.

You have never planned your summer vacation around a gun-'n-knife show.

You think more money should go to important scientific research at your university than to pay the salary of the head football coach.

You don't even have one can of WD-40 somewhere around the house.

The last time you smiled was when you blocked someone from getting on an on-ramp to the highway.

You don't have any hats in your closet that advertise feed stores.

You have more than one professional sports team in your home state.

You call binoculars opera glasses.

You can't spit out the car window without pulling over to the side of the road and stopping.

You don't know anyone with at least two first names (i.e., Joe Bob, Faye Ellen, Billy Ray, Mary Jo, Bubba Dean, Joe Dan, Mary Alice)

You don't know any women with male names (i.e., Tommie, Bobbie, Johnnie, Jimmie)

You don't have Maw-maw's & Pawpaw's.

You get freaked out when people on the subway talk to you.

None of your fur coats are homemade.

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:
Bluenecks are Northerners -- the opposite of Rednecks. Because of Redneck jokes, here are some takes on how Southern folks look at Northerners (or how Northerners sometimes think of (themselves;)

YOU JUST MIGHT BE A BLUENECK IF...

Not trying to start any thing here, but I have observed another difference between Northerners and Southerners. Most Northerners don't care what Southerners think of them.

Besides chickens/cows, ketchup, and calling Pepsi/CocaCola "a coke" - count me in!!!
grin.gif

cheers.gif

patriot.gif

Australia, being in the southern hemishpere, has the hottest climate to the north of the continent and the colder to the south.

So our "southeners" are the bluenecks, and the "northerners" are the red necks.

Our southern cousins refer to Queensland as the "Deep North"

Must be a climate thing.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
When I moved from the North to Richmond, VA, I didn't realize the Civil War wasn't over yet.
cheers.gif

Cousincletus, if yall are in Virginia now, you had better use the correct term for that conflict to avoid upsettin' the locals. It is , The War of Northern Aggression!
wink.gif

My dad's great grandpa was in that one, at the battle of Ft. Fisher, 3miles from where I grew up. (Well, I still haven't quite done that). The eventual Union victory there, after what was at that time the heaviest naval bombardment in history, closed Wilmington, the last southern port open to blockade runners.
Travis was one of the brave men who run in my family. But evidently, he didn't run fast enough, since the Yankees captured him after the fort was overrun.

There is a city outside Raleigh, NC called Cary. It is mainly the community for Northerners working in the Research Triangle. Southerners call it:
"Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"

Ever heard of 'halfbacks'?
Yankees who move to Florida, don't like it, so they move halfway back home, which usually lands them in North Carolina, where they build condos and golf courses, and complain a lot.

This is one funny thread!! Halfbacks indeed....

As a west coast born and bred boy, I can't handle the whole heat and humdity thing north or south.

So I live where ya can't stand in the same place too long or you'll get moss growing on the north side of your body! Call me a Greeneck???
dunno.gif

And yeah we bbq salmon in the winter, drink coffee when a beer will do, drive either an SUV or a Volvo and eat raspberry pies.....

I've only lived in the South for the last 6 years. What really strikes me is the speed at which Southerners walk. They're constantly in my way. I know I need a visit back north when I start getting passed by a Southerner. Kinda like a warning sign.

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Australia, being in the southern hemishpere, has the hottest climate to the north of the continent and the colder to the south.

So our "southeners" are the bluenecks, and the "northerners" are the red necks.

Our southern cousins refer to Queensland as the "Deep North"

Must be a climate thing.

Dave

Yes, down here we all love our One Nation Redneck brothers from the north Davo
wink.gif
grin.gif

"And most southerners would like it if most northerners stayed up north."

Unless of course he brings money and jobs then he will be put up with. The southerner side of my family all work for Yankee companies but bad mouth them thar fur-a-ners.

Here's from a former ****Yankee (sorta...I grew up in St. Louis, which is only a bit above the Mason-Dixon Line). St. Louis, by history and 'feel' is as much a Southern town as anything, but is still a Big City with all the big city problems. Lived in Madison, Wisconson, the leftist/yuppie capital of the upper Midwest for four years
freak2.gif
before moving down here to Russelville, Arkansas, 'bout halfway between Little Rock and the Oklahoma border. I love it here. Folks are friendly and polite, rush hour lasts about ten minutes, and everyone holds doors for everyone else!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'm guilty of about half the items on the list, but I'm getting better.
grin.gif
Still haven't mastered "Y'all", but hey, old habits are hard to break.
Keep up the fun posts.
cheers.gif

[ February 14, 2004, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: olddognewtrks ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back