Bluedriver Obd2 scanner? Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing everyone bragging about how good their Bluedriver Bluetooth obd2 scan tool is. Heck, it is the #2 best selling scan tool on amazon. I am in the market for a scan tool, and am looking to get one. Should I get a blue driver or do you have any recommendations for one?
For those who don't know here is the link to the eBay for a blue driver https://ebay.to/2QJGGJg

I have a Bluedriver and I like it. I has allowed me to read why the check engine light came on and has been right on for most frequent causes/diagnosis. After making the repairs, I have had no trouble resetting the check engine light and going on my merry way.

I am happy with my Bluedriver.

Unlike the Bluedriver, the $20 scan tool will not read enhanced manufacturer codes for transmission, airbag, body, HVAC, etc..

Good point atikovi. I too am getting tired of using the phone as a kluge.

I wanted to buy a real scan tool, but I couldn't resist the rave reviews of the Bluedriver. So far, I am happy with my kluge..

I was prepared to spend upwards of $500 to get a good tool, but after lots of research, I got tired and bought the BD.

I am not a working professional mechanic and don't have the experience necessary to know what I needed..

Originally Posted by atikovi
You can get a dedicated scan tool for OBD2 codes for $20 https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Autel-...3?hash=item3417f92ccd:g:578AAOSwOb9dxSjy Why mess with trying to make a phone do something it wasn't designed for.

You can just delete the stuff after the ? mark in the link.

For basic OBDII scanners, probably the BAFX one is the most popular, over 12k reviews on Amazon, about $23.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS

I like the Autel Diaglink.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-Version-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B01N0QQZY7

Basically if you go into the Bluedriver faq section and punch in your car, it turns out it doesn't support all the features of all the cars out there. Mercedes especially, just does basic OBDII which any cheap $5-$20 scanner will do. The Autel I mentioned above will do all subsystems of a particular manufacturer, but only does one manufacturer, each additional manufacturer costs an extra $10. For me, it does all Mercedes subsystems, some other scanners only do a limited number like just ABS, SRS, Transmission, etc, but may skip things like keyless go, and other subsystems.

To get a scanner to do what the Blue Driver does fo $99 you'll have to spend hundreds more!
I'm about to get one, but it will be used with an iPad, my phone is just that.
smile.gif

I have one and I love it. My only problem is I forget which car I used it in last.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
atikovi said:
Basically if you go into the Bluedriver faq section and punch in your car, it turns out it doesn't support all the features of all the cars out there. Mercedes especially, just does basic OBDII which any cheap $5-$20 scanner will do. For me, it does all Mercedes subsystems, some other scanners only do a limited number like just ABS, SRS, Transmission, etc, but may skip things like keyless go, and other subsystems.

It does support MB till 2018 my

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by Wolf359
atikovi said:
Basically if you go into the Bluedriver faq section and punch in your car, it turns out it doesn't support all the features of all the cars out there. Mercedes especially, just does basic OBDII which any cheap $5-$20 scanner will do. For me, it does all Mercedes subsystems, some other scanners only do a limited number like just ABS, SRS, Transmission, etc, but may skip things like keyless go, and other subsystems.

It does support MB till 2018 my

I put my year and model in for Mercedes and it came up with only basic obdii error codes and not more advanced functions.

To get a scanner to do what the Blue Driver does fo $99 you'll have to spend hundreds more!
smile.gif

Please expand on your answer on why you would need to spend hundreds more to get what Blue Driver has.

The listing mentions:
"The Professional OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers".

If it is not bidirectional then no serious mechanic will be using it. It does not say it is so I assume its not.

Not sure what is better about this one than the other scanners that are dedicated and are used with a phone via Bluetooth.

Now I do have a second scanner that I keep in my pickup. This would be good for that. It will not replace my Auto-Enginuity scan tool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
smile.gif

Please expand on your answer on why you would need to spend hundreds more to get what Blue Driver has.

The listing mentions:
"The Professional OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers".

If it is not bidirectional then no serious mechanic will be using it. It does not say it is so I assume its not.

Not sure what is better about this one than the other scanners that are dedicated and are used with a phone via Bluetooth.

Now I do have a second scanner that I keep in my pickup. This would be good for that. It will not replace my Auto-Enginuity scan tool.

I too use to have Auto Enginuity. Used it a few times, it wouldnt communicate with some vehicles. The software was "meh", I then sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back