Blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much info on the laptop but it's an HP running Windows 7. Any idea from looking at this what might be wrong?

Well duh! A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to protect your computer. LOL.

SORRY, I'm a Mac guy and don't know squat about Windows. Haven't used one in a decade.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I don't have much info on the laptop but it's an HP running Windows 7. Any idea from looking at this what might be wrong?

Upgrade to Windows 8 or 10.

A crash in tcpip.sys is generally an issue with your network driver. Make sure you have the most recent from HP for your unit. Also, it can be triggered by antivirus software that filters network traffic, what are you using for AV?

As Overkill has stated, that is being caused by a conflict or failure with the driver for your network adapter (or at least one of them). Updating the network drivers should help. Have you done an update recently?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Upgrade to Win 10

I think the upgrade is still free.

It's not. Hasn't been in a while.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
A crash in tcpip.sys is generally an issue with your network driver. Make sure you have the most recent from HP for your unit. Also, it can be triggered by antivirus software that filters network traffic, what are you using for AV?

Thanks. IT pushed a new McAfee update earlier this week. I'm going to try disabling it or downgrading if I can and see what happens.

All fixed! It was the latest McAfee corporate upgrade. All is good now after reverting to prior rev. Thanks Overkill and SirTanon for diagnosing the data in my bluescreen spot on.

I'm glad you sorted out your BSOD issue....While we are on the topic of computer problems....my desktop tries to download Windows 'updates' and can't.

I get a message 'Working on Updates..XX% complete...Don't turn off your computer"

When it gets to 100% complete...it tells me it was unable to download the updates. (I can't remember the wording exactly)....Any ideas why it won't download the updates...and how to solve it? Thanks

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
All fixed! It was the latest McAfee corporate upgrade. All is good now after reverting to prior rev. Thanks Overkill and SirTanon for diagnosing the data in my bluescreen spot on.

You are quite welcome
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm glad you sorted out your BSOD issue....While we are on the topic of computer problems....my desktop tries to download Windows 'updates' and can't.

I get a message 'Working on Updates..XX% complete...Don't turn off your computer"

When it gets to 100% complete...it tells me it was unable to download the updates. (I can't remember the wording exactly)....Any ideas why it won't download the updates...and how to solve it? Thanks

I had the same problem awhile back with W10’s first major update. I just ran the built in diagnostic repair tool to resolve the issue. As to the why? Being closed sourced and the complexity of the OS and its dependencies/compatibilities of its own and other programs/hardware, that’s best left answered by the Microsoft team.

Windows 10:
Go To > Start > Windows Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update > Run the Trouble-shooter. Do the same thing with Hardware & Devices from the list.

Windows 7:
I can’t remember the exact path but the trouble-shooter (or namesake like fix, repair) for windows update is buried somewhere within the control panel.

Failing that, an internet search of your problem will provide you with other possible solutions.

Remember, the internet is your friend that can make keyboard experts out of all of us, regardless of competency. Just ask it the right question.

ndfergy:
I tried your fix and it did fix a few issues but the one issue that said "Not Fixed" was:
"Potential Window Update Database errors detected".

Thanks...I'll dig a bit deeper into it....

Originally Posted By: pbm
ndfergy:
I tried your fix and it did fix a few issues but the one issue that said "Not Fixed" was:
"Potential Window Update Database errors detected".

Thanks...I'll dig a bit deeper into it....

It's probably 1 of 2 things: file system integrity/registry errors or 3rd party programs

Run the system file checker threw an elevated prompt sfc /scannow

Failing that, disable any 3rd party anti-virus/malware/firewall your running then reenable MS Defender and its firewall

Failing that, disable 3rd party programs on start-up from your task manager one by one to isolate, restarting after each one.

Failing that, you could run MSCONFIG and disable all non windows services

Good luck

Originally Posted By: ndfergy

Run the system file checker threw an elevated prompt sfc /scannow

Yep ... tip, the DOS command window needs to be ran as Administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back