Blue Mountain Filters revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may remember my post about the Blue Mountain oil filters being sold for $1.09 at Lowes. I finally installed one on my son's Alero 3400 V-6. Ran it about 2000 miles and decided to change from a winter weight oil to a summer weight. Cut it apart and saw the following....not pretty.

4kbhv7.jpg

2efq60z.jpg

Looks like the cousin of Tearolator. Has a glued seam instead of the metal crimped seam. Guess media tearing can happen in any case if the pleats are spread open wide.

Does it say anything on the box or on the filter about where it's made? Was there a date code on the can?

Code on the can...2001271
Made in Mexico for Old World Industries.

Nothing else noticeable on the can or the box.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
Code on the can...2001271
Made in Mexico for Old World Industries.

Nothing else noticeable on the can or the box.

Obviously it's not a made by Purolator filter, even though it looks somewhat like Purolator construction.

Not sure about that date code, I doubt it's 1-27-2001 unless this is some super old filter that has been laying around for 13 years.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
271st day of 2001 I would guess

Could be ... if so, it's an old filter and maybe the age had something to do with the media failure.

Well you may not like it but I doubt that all the oil pumped could have passed thru the small tear in the media. I bet it did the job for the short OCI you had. I would not buy it again myself but I doubt there was any problem caused by the filter.

^^^ The concern I have with torn media is that the oil that does flow through the tear could dislodge and sweep media into the engine - the longer the media is torn, the more possible it is that some of it could dislodge from the torn edges. Even if it was just some fibers breaking loose, it's just not a good thing to have anything foreign like that going through and engine's oiling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back