Blue-Green "Algae" Kills Dogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I just saw this on the news. I never knew about this.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...-algae-killing-dog-poisoning/1996204001/

"According to Dr. Jan Stevenson, a professor of algal ecology at Michigan State University, blue-green algae is a form of toxic bacteria called cyanobacteria. While the organism is not actually algae, it contains chlorophyll that makes it look similar to the plant. "It depends on the exposure, and how people or pets are exposed to it," he said. "If the pets or people drink the water, they can ingest the toxins, and get nauseous, have diarrhea or even die if they drink enough of the toxins and if there's enough toxins in the water."

Something not to panic about, but certainly something to be mindful of. Don't drink scummy pond water.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Don't drink scummy pond water.

Well. Duh.
Common sense tells you that it's not good for you or your dogs.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Don't drink scummy pond water.

Well. Duh.
Common sense tells you that it's not good for you or your dogs.

It sometimes is a light film on the water and not readily apparent.

There are several body of waters currently in Utah that has the "bloom". This being toxic is broadcast on the news every year.

This makes no sense to me.

There must be something more toxic in the water than just the blue-green algae, because I have fed my dogs either Spirulina or chlorella every day with their meals for years!

https://bit.ly/2YZS1tn

Ed

Last edited:
The lake on which I live has a lot of problems with algae bloom. Now we're back in full bloom season, I live on the outlet of the lake so the water does move somewhat here, but not enough for the algae to be completely gone.

We have a lot of agriculture and from what I understand the phosphates in the fertilizer cause the blooms.

This happened here in Atlanta at lake Allatoona. A couple had taken their dog with them to the lake and the dog played in the water as always. The dog died within 2 hours of exposure to the deadly algae. The Army corp of Engineers and the CDC are working on identifying the strain and how to combat it.

There seems to be a lot of stories in the news lately, about people swimming in warm water lakes and rivers getting, "flesh eating bacteria". Many have lost limbs from amputation, or even died from it. The water doesn't have to be "scummy". Just have the right conditions to support this type of bacteria.

Sad.

But Maybe it should read "Idiotic Owner Kills Dog by Allowing it to Drink Pond Water"

I cut my foot in the mid Sixties swimming in Silver Lake in Tewksbury; I cut it stepping on open Mussels in the muck about 20-30 feet off shore.

That was the last time I was in a Pond.

Later in life and upon reflection, I realized there was a lot of sewerage going in to that pond. Gross!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back