blue coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a neighbor got some blue coolant where he works.
it comes bulk and gets brought in empty jugs we keep for such a thing.
anyone know what it is?it not washer fluid.smells like any other eg based coolant.

Honda antifreeze/coolant has a stiff dose of phosphate as co-corrosion inhibitor to the OAT chemistry. The phosphate locks very quickly to bare aluminum to protect it while the OAT chemistry gradually displaces it over the first several thousand miles. Afterwords, the circulating phosphate is available to quickly "heal" any abrasions in the hydrated organic acid film that arise from any stray particulates in suspension. The same can be said of Toyota and Nissan OEM antifreeze formulae, too. Generally, European automakers avoid phosphated antifreeze formulas because of Europe's abysmally high mineral content tap water. The fear is that the phosphate content in antifreeze concentrates might come out of solution as hard precipitates and damage waterpump seals. I don't know what BMW's specific chemistry is, but Mercedes-Benz has used a BASF formula "glysine" antifreeze for over two decades. It's phosphate free and contains reduced silicate content and OAT technology. If anyone can confirm that the M-B juice is the same chemistry as BMW's (regardless of marker dye color), BMW owners can rejoice. Zerex G-05 is the same thing for considerably less than high-buck Euro-car stealerships charge.

Here's some key specs on G-48 and G-05:

GLYSANTIN ® G 48

Reserve alkalinity of 10 ml
Method: ASTM D 1121
Value: 13 - 15
Unit: ml HCl 0,1 mol/l

Density, 20 °C
Method: DIN 51 757 procedure 4
Value: 1,121 - 1,123
Unit: g/cm³

Water content
Method: DIN 51 777 part 1
Value: max. 3,5
Unit: %

pH-value
Method: ASTM D 1287
Value: 7,1 - 7,3

GLYSANTIN ® G 05

Reserve alkalinity of 10 ml
Method: ASTM D 1121
Value: 15 - 19
Unit: ml HCl 0,1 mol/l

Density, 20 °C
Method: DIN 51 757 procedure 4
Value: 1,131 - 1,133
Unit: g/cm³

Water content
Method: DIN 51 777 part 1
Value: max. 3,0 %

pH-value
Method: ASTM D 1287
Value: 6,0 - 7,0

somehow I have a feeling that the data presented is what makes each one have its individual characteristics and makes then different.

JMH

My Dodge Sprinter (Mercedes) coolant is blue as well. Dealer doesn't know what kind it is. He recommended replacing it with Dex-Cool type coolant. He didn't exactly say Dex-Cool, but I know what he was talking about.

ok so the radiator was blown in my bmw and a "certified BMW" repair shop put the green stuff in. I've since removed the head because the head gasket blew, now I'm curious if the blue BMW coolant is going to go into the system ok. Do i need to flush it out first? can i just flush it with a hose or do i need to use distilled water

[ December 14, 2005, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: prophecy ]

Certified by whom? The proprietor? Unless you KNOW what the "green" is that the repair shop used, better assume it was conventional high silicate content antifreeze. (It could be WalMart "SuperTech" extended life antifreeze since that syrup's green with somewhat of a mild bluish cast. Chemically, it's a DEX-COOL clone - no silicates, no phosphates, OAT corrosion protection, ethylene glycol. I've had that in my '03 Sonata for over a year and three months without any problems, but if I were willing to take the plunge into a BMW, I don't think I'd settle for anything other than what BMW specifies.) From my reads in Bimmer magazine, BMWs are awfully fussy about their coolant - and certain engine series are known to have water pump troubles. To be safe, better figure on a complete water flush before putting in the right stuff. Distilled water is best for both flushing and dilution, and WalMart distilled water is cheapest.

Ray H: you are a coolant genius, i found your writeup on all the sillicates and G05 and whatnot in another post which I cannot find right now, thanks alot.

Prophecy,

My BMW dealer says BMW blue or G48 glystantin doesn't mix with green. It creates a gelatin mess that will clog things up as you experienced.

I'd drain your radiator, and your block (there's a drain plug on your block...usually on the passenger side front of the inline 6). Before your drain, ensure the ignition is turned on and heater is set to hottest temperature.

Then flush with distilled water, drain again (block and radiator) and refill with BMW blue coolant (my 330ci only needed 1 $18 jug) 50/50 mix with distilled water. It's cheap at any drugstore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back