Blowing money on a commerical 21" - Honda vs Kawi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor can I, Lubener. About 20 yrs ago , I stopped buying mowers, in favor of coaxing cast offs back to life. Back in '09, I scored 2 mowers, a box store Lawnboy that just needed a pair of 3/8 bolts to make it right. And a 21' Toro 3 speed with a Suzuki 4 stroke GTS. 25 yrs old, run hard and put away wet. I dont really know how the Lawnboy runs, I got it going and put it away on a shelf. The Toro is the best mower I have scored to date. If you don't like 2 strokes, I recommend the 4 stroke. I hear parts for the Suzuki are expensive. I wouldn't know, I havent needed to buy any.
grin2.gif

OPE Freak

I understand and support your direction to purchase "overkill" commercial product for your personal use. Enjoy either selection life is short. We purchased new Toro Proline Commercial 21 inch BBC mower with the Kawasaki FJ180 engine (estimated 10 years ago). We did have a 4 year period that we did not use the mower due to having a larger lot and a lawn tractor. So estimate our use at 6 years at 40 hours a year close to 240 total hours. Ours has the oil filter and the only maintenance has been oil/filter yearly changes, 1 spark plug, and 1 air filter and foam prefilter. Still starts on the first pull warm or cold. No measurable oil consumption. No oil leaks. Power and torque have been impressive. This year has been a heavy growth year due to plenty of rain and our fert company putting down what I consider more than necessary amount each application. We usually Mulch mow at 2.5 or 3.0 inches one time per week, we have seen 4 to 7 inches high high grass each mow. Our grass is cool season Turf Type TallFescue grass with some Ky bluegrass mixed in. While I have had to scrape the clogged grass from the underside of the deck a few times the engine has always had plenty of power, runs smooth and seems reasonably quiet. I would have no issues with the FJ180 engine for your choice of high end mowers. Enjoy your new mower.

Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 'commerical' Toro 21" mower next Spring. The two options I like are as follows. I think the Exmark clones are a little cheaper but I don't think they would mulch quite as well so I would like to stick with one of these.

Kawasaki - http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professional-C...ges/Model.aspx?
pid=22290

Honda - http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professional-C....aspx?pid=22295

The Toro Kawasaki has the FJ180V, vs the Honda GX160V in the second option. Both are top notch and obsolutely ridiculously way more than I need for a residential user. I'm the weirdo buying high outdoor power equipment while the next guy is buying a motorcycle. Put it that way.

The Toro Kawasaki is around $1,000 vs $1,400 for the Honda 160GXV.

Anyone have longevity with the FJ180V? I have no worries about the Honda GX160V. The deck is the same on each and the transmission is a bit different, but not a show stopper for one or the other.

What would you guys choose/why?

This will likely be the last 'gas' mower I'll ever buy.
Thanks!

PO

Originally Posted By: Slick

OPE Freak

I understand and support your direction to purchase "overkill" commercial product for your personal use. Enjoy either selection life is short. We purchased new Toro Proline Commercial 21 inch BBC mower with the Kawasaki FJ180 engine (estimated 10 years ago). We did have a 4 year period that we did not use the mower due to having a larger lot and a lawn tractor. So estimate our use at 6 years at 40 hours a year close to 240 total hours. Ours has the oil filter and the only maintenance has been oil/filter yearly changes, 1 spark plug, and 1 air filter and foam prefilter. Still starts on the first pull warm or cold. No measurable oil consumption. No oil leaks. Power and torque have been impressive. This year has been a heavy growth year due to plenty of rain and our fert company putting down what I consider more than necessary amount each application. We usually Mulch mow at 2.5 or 3.0 inches one time per week, we have seen 4 to 7 inches high high grass each mow. Our grass is cool season Turf Type TallFescue grass with some Ky bluegrass mixed in. While I have had to scrape the clogged grass from the underside of the deck a few times the engine has always had plenty of power, runs smooth and seems reasonably quiet. I would have no issues with the FJ180 engine for your choice of high end mowers. Enjoy your new mower.

Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 'commerical' Toro 21" mower next Spring. The two options I like are as follows. I think the Exmark clones are a little cheaper but I don't think they would mulch quite as well so I would like to stick with one of these.

Kawasaki - http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professional-C...ges/Model.aspx?
pid=22290

Honda - http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professional-C....aspx?pid=22295

The Toro Kawasaki has the FJ180V, vs the Honda GX160V in the second option. Both are top notch and obsolutely ridiculously way more than I need for a residential user. I'm the weirdo buying high outdoor power equipment while the next guy is buying a motorcycle. Put it that way.

The Toro Kawasaki is around $1,000 vs $1,400 for the Honda 160GXV.

Anyone have longevity with the FJ180V? I have no worries about the Honda GX160V. The deck is the same on each and the transmission is a bit different, but not a show stopper for one or the other.

What would you guys choose/why?

This will likely be the last 'gas' mower I'll ever buy.
Thanks!

PO

Thanks Slick. I feel better about the FJ180V. Yes, my neighbors would probably laugh at me using it, but oh well. If I started buying junk ore rehab mowers on Craiglist list to repower for personal use, I probably wouldnt stop and would have to start parking my car outside. I just need 1 or 2 high end mowers to keep the smile on my face.

To those that think both are overpriced, keep in mind that people buy top end Honda HRX's all day from Home Depot @ $800. At this price your still left with a consumer/prosumer grade engine, trans, and deck. Spending just a couple hundred more on a commerical mower is worth it in my opinon. Both will last a long time, but your well positioned with the commerical grade to get years more out of it and or sell it to a lawn crew for a junk of money.

I have a JD JX75 and a JD SB14, both 98 models, both bought off of CL for less than $100.00 total. These mowers sold new for about $650.00 each. Both have the Kawi engine, and the Tuff Torq 5 speed transmission. I also have a 1990 Honda sr21 I bought new. You can't go wrong with the Kawi or the Honda. I would put more emphasis on the mower frame, wheels, deck, drive system etc, as either engine will outlast the mower.

I have the FJ180V engine on Ariens LMS 21.

Excellent mower, have had it for 5 years. Just replaced and idler bearing which cams against the drive belt. It is a discomatic, and other than that, just gas and yearly oil and filter change.

Look at an ariens, was about 600$ when I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back