Blow out a well

My well has a supply problem with any large demand. It's not water level. 60 years old. I assume it needs blown out.

Blowing out a well as I understand it you pump air down and then suddenly release it spew all the crap out and pushing the aggregate away from the point, is this correct?

So I assume you need the top of the casing exposed. The pipe actually coming from the well has a check valve on the end so nothing can be forced down that. It's a shallow well pump with one 1" pipe feeding it.

The well head is buried but I know it is 54' from the pump as measured with a fish tape shoved down the 1" feed pipe til it stops. Using a metal detector I think I found where it is.

If its a shallow well just start planning on replacing the casing. Then you can have someone try to blow it out with the expectation that you will have to replace it. I am not looking forward to those problems as mine is 400 ft deep and its going to cost me big.

I recommend that you consult with a local well driller. Different areas of the country are prone to specific problems. I think that a well driller could give you some valuable information. See if there is an older driller in your area. They know a lot.

Originally Posted by samven
If its a shallow well just start planning on replacing the casing. Then you can have someone try to blow it out with the expectation that you will have to replace it. I am not looking forward to those problems as mine is 400 ft deep and its going to cost me big.

I hear ya. Mine is 300 ft deep. Local price is $62/ft to redrill.

The well is 125' or so and in sand. Good supply. There is a neighbor drilling a new well next door so I'm going to check them out to see what they say.

Originally Posted by SHOZ
The well is 125' or so and in sand. Good supply. There is a neighbor drilling a new well next door so I'm going to check them out to see what they say.

you say its shallow, then you said it has a 1" pipe feeding it.
then 54'

then 125'

Is this a submerge pump or jet pump? Can you clarify so we have a better idea of the actual setup.

Yes, it's a 4" 125' casing with a shallow well pump. 54' horizontal until I hit what I believe to be the well head. I do not know really how deep the foot valve is.

I can set my metal detector to find iron about 4' down when I calibrate it to the wire in the sidewalk. And it's going off in the area of 54'.

so there is a jet well pump in your basement?
I have never seen one past 25ft depth with a single pipe usually
they have 2 pipes and neither is 1"

1" plastic. Standard around here. I would not doubt the foot valve is 25' or so vertically deep. Pump is in the crawl space.

i dont think the fracking truck are busy now,
smile.gif

Back