Blotter Test...unknown oil, unknown age, unknown mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother in law was given a car with a value of whatever it is worth the babysit a friend's two kids for the Christmas holidays.

The car is a Ford Laser (Mazda) with a DOHC 1.8 4 cyl engine. I blottered it yesterday.
 -

I was suprised to see it one spread less than 3/4" in 24 hours. It just seemed to sit there not wanting to wet the paper.

In the centre it's got a small section that hasn't soaked in, just looking crusty/gummy.

(Yes the coolant header tank is empty)

Looks like it is sludged. I would think this engine needs some cleaning up. BTW, I am no expert on this topic.

Edit: Here is some stuff from my notes:

Noria Learning Center, "Using Oil Analysis to Control Varnish and Sludge": Says if dark
brownish stain in center after oil absorbs outward, then could be carbon or oxide
insolubles. Dark stain with well defined boundary (sharp edge) is cause for concern.

Noria "Lubrication Field Test and Inspection Guide" says the density or darkness of the
center spot indicates soot load, distance of radial travel indicates dispersency.

[ January 12, 2006, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Id really love to learn more about reading blotters, Ive read most of the items from searching the forum...but still leaves much to be desired.

A blotter library would be nice too. I have blotter sets (mostly taken every 500 miles) on
three vehicles, some with UOA data. I was going to post all the blotter sets on my pickup (about
6 OCIs worth, including two AutoRx runs, but when I tried to upload to Photobucket I learned
you can't upload pdf files and I should have scanned them as jpg. Not having a scanner handy,
I need to figure out how to post pdf files or translate them.

TallPaul, Id be interested in all that you can post...most of the informative Blotter posts have come from you...so anything would be appreciated...I just wanna learn more about this, Ive already got plain business cards, I just need a bit of reference to guide me.

Best I can do is email you the stuff tomorrow. PM me your email if you want it. Would be about a dozen files and I would send each separately as they might be too much all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back