Blotter Spot Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone attempted to perform this test at home? From reading it sounds fairly simple and can be used to determine levels of contaminants like soot, fuel and coolant.

Is it practical DIY test given the equipment involved?

Blotter Spot Test

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
I do that at about 7K into a 10K OCI.

If you could, can you list out all what's needed to do this at home?

No I have not. Might be interesting to try some time. I'm dubious if it'd tell me about silicon (failed air filter) but the notion of detecting glycol would be good (heads up that the head gasket is going south). But I wonder if the sheets would wind up more costly than just doing an oil change--I did a quick look but I'm not sure what to google for (found plenty of skin wipes, and then to wipe up oil spills, but nothing for this test).

Originally Posted by zeng
I find Blotter Spot Test helpful , not sure about others. .....
and it comes with quick results and doesn't cost me $.

Tx for sharing that Zeng... since you've done this test, can you tell me the light source you're using?

Originally Posted by supton
No I have not. Might be interesting to try some time. I'm dubious if it'd tell me about silicon (failed air filter) but the notion of detecting glycol would be good (heads up that the head gasket is going south). But I wonder if the sheets would wind up more costly than just doing an oil change--I did a quick look but I'm not sure what to google for (found plenty of skin wipes, and then to wipe up oil spills, but nothing for this test).

It uses a special kind of chromatography paper, I think.

I got overwhelmed fast too upon doing an initial Google search (hence why I made this post looking for guidance). I was thinking of emailing the author of the article and asking him what he recommends.

Perhaps Zang can provide some insight on this.??? I'm really keen on trying this test out. I understand it's resolution won't be as good as some lab performed test but I'm ok with that. I'm looking for a relatively cheap, quick and dirty way to check certain oil parameters like soot, fuel and coolant (presence of).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Tx for sharing that Zeng... since you've done this test, can you tell me the light source you're using?

I use residential LED wall bulb or fluorescent ceiling light as backlight for visual evaluation/comparison of blotter spot images.
Office ceiling light is too bright IMO and all pictures in the thread were taken without a backlight source.

Perhaps Zang can provide some insight on this.??? I'm really keen on trying this test out. I understand it's resolution won't be as good as some lab performed test but I'm ok with that. I'm looking for a relatively cheap, quick and dirty way to check certain oil parameters like soot, fuel and coolant (presence of).

I'd use name card, 70/80 gm printing paper of smooth texture and now settle with official correspondence 'letter head' of not-so-smooth texture, as described in my thread.
Any of the 3 mediums above should be adequate for 'sub-professional' use for personal convenience , I suppose

Originally Posted by zeng
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I use residential LED wall bulb or fluorescent ceiling light as backlight for visual evaluation/comparison of blotter spot images.
Office ceiling light is too bright IMO and all pictures in the thread were taken without a backlight source.

I'd use name card, 70/80 gm printing paper of smooth texture and now settle with official correspondence 'letter head' of not-so-smooth texture, as described in my thread.
Any of the 3 mediums above should be adequate for 'sub-professional' use for personal convenience , I suppose

Excellent..ty. i have your thread bookmarked....ðŸ‘

Check your inbox for some Blotter Spot sample images with locally available Euro II 500 ppm Sulfur fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back