Blotter spot test of my oil

I recently learned about the blotter spot test for evaluating oil for quality. This sample is from my 2000 Z71 5.3 that is driven maybe 2000 miles per year with short 10 to 15 mile trips to town. Even less than that over the past year. I think the oil is 3 years old. It is Mobil one 5w 30 synthetic. I know it is less than 5000 miles old due to the oil light not coming on.

Anyway my evaluation of this test is the oil needs changing. There is the darker center dot with a defined ring around it. So the oil has oxidized and the dispersants are not working well. There is also the outer ring around the center indicating some fuel in the oil. The sample was taken after a 50 minute drive on the highway. The sample is 48 hours old. I did change the oil and will keep track of miles and time.

Sample with back lighting

Sample without back lighting

This is a 72 hour sample from my 18 Camry 2.5 with 7200 miles on its oil of daily driving of less than 20 miles. 0w 20 Mobil one. This oil is in good shape no center ring or dark areas. There is some fuel dilution. Probably due to it being dual injection and the short trips This sample was taken after a 10 mile trip with 18 mins drive time.

Camry sample with back light

Camry sample without back light

Excellent first post! Welcome! and yes the truck needs fresh oil & filter.

Thanks KG!

This is the 72 hour test of a oil sample from my 2018 Yamaha MT 07. Oil was last changed on 8-31-2019 with Rotella T4 15w40. Current miles on the oil 2281. Ride time is always at least 30 mins or more with most rides less than 40 miles.

The oil looks great considering its age and usage. The sample has a slight ring to the center with back lighting and a hint of a fuel ring. I think this oil is fine to run another 1000 miles.

Oil sample no backlight

Oil sample backlight

I enjoy these Blotter tests. they are a qualitative measure that requires some interpretive skills. They can be useful with known parameters and operating conditions such as what you presented for the ole z71.

This is a 72 hour sample from my 18 Camry 2.5 with 9000 miles on its oil of daily driving of less than 20 miles. 0w 20 Mobil one. This oil is in good shape no center ring or dark areas. There is some fuel dilution. Probably due to it being dual injection and the short trips This sample was taken after a 10 mile trip with 18 mins drive time. The oil looks a little darker than the 7200 mile test.

Oil sample no backlight

Oil sample backlight

Looks like need to sign-in to Google for the photo links to work. You can upload the photos directly to BITOG ... more people would probably see them that way.

This is a 72 hour sample from my 18 Camry 2.5 with 10,000 miles on its oil of daily driving of less than 20 miles. 0w 20 Mobil one. This oil is in good shape no center ring or dark areas. There is some fuel dilution. Probably due to it being dual injection and the short trips This sample was taken after a 10 mile trip with 18 mins drive time. The oil looks a little darker than the 7200 mile test.

Attachments

• 10,000 mile camry.jpg
    10,000 mile camry.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 10,000 mile camry no backlight.jpg
    10,000 mile camry no backlight.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 24
This is my CRF450L 600 mile oil sample. Honda recommends changing the oil every 600 miles. That oil don't need changing.

Attachments

• CRF450l 600 mile sample no backlight.jpg
    CRF450l 600 mile sample no backlight.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 17
  • CRF450l 600 mile sample.jpg
    CRF450l 600 mile sample.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 17
Back