Blizzaks on closeout at Tirerack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunting and pecking around, doing some tire shopping. Looks like WS70's are on closeout at Tirerack? Looks like they can basically reach the prices of local shops, once you take into account shipping and mount/balance. Are they dropping Blizzak, dropping that tire type, or just moving old inventory?

Well, it's hard to say what TireRack is doing exactly. You may have answered your own question though
smile.gif
TireRack is doing either of the two things you mentioned or, BOTH!

WS80 is arriving soon so why not get rid of old model while you can?
I suspect they will be even cheaper later but selection will be smaller.

Krzys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Hunting and pecking around, doing some tire shopping. Looks like WS70's are on closeout at Tirerack? Looks like they can basically reach the prices of local shops, once you take into account shipping and mount/balance. Are they dropping Blizzak, dropping that tire type, or just moving old inventory?

WS70 has been discontinued. The WS80 is coming this fall.

It's also the off-season for winter tires and they want to make room for the new inventory that typically arrives in late Sept/early Oct.

WS 70 are still GREAT snow tires...
but we dont know what pricing is on ws80, its not a deal buy ie... triple rebate

its a straight 15% off or so... or the equiv of free shipping.

Not enough to make me pull the trigger for snow tires in july.

For me tirerack.com was cheaper than tirerack.ebay

Brdgestone already replaced line up in EU, which is biggest winter tire market in the world.
So, probably there is new tire coming.
If you need hardcore winter tire WS70 is very good. New model does not mean necessarily better traction in deep snow, it might be similar to Michelin xIce3.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/story/2014/02/bridgestone-introduces-the-blizzak-ws80.aspx

Bridgestone Americas Inc. (BSAM) says it has improved the water-absorbing ability of its new Blizzak WS80 winter tire for passenger cars and minivans to create more grip on ice and snow. Dealers can begin placing orders in March for the WS80, which will officially launch in July 2014.

The company says the tire is engineered to give drivers impressive control in winter weather conditions. “The Blizzak WS80 stops shorter, handles better and grips the road more than our best-selling WS70 tire, which the WS80 replaces,” says Anant Gandhi, product manager, Bridgestone Americas.

The WS80 tire has several technological improvements over the WS70:

* a proprietary hydrophilic (water-loving) coating that allows the tire’s multi-cell compound to attract water, drawing it away from the road to combat slippage on ice;

* bite particles in the multi-cell compound that act as microscopic studs for road grip and improved braking on ice;

* optimized contact pressure and cavity shape that helps to distribute forces evenly and effectively for better stability and control; and

* a new tread pattern with 20% more block edges and higher edge/block density to channel snow, slush and water away from the contact area for added control.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/story/2014/02/bridgestone-introduces-the-blizzak-ws80.aspx

Bridgestone Americas Inc. (BSAM) says it has improved the water-absorbing ability of its new Blizzak WS80 winter tire for passenger cars and minivans to create more grip on ice and snow. Dealers can begin placing orders in March for the WS80, which will officially launch in July 2014.

The company says the tire is engineered to give drivers impressive control in winter weather conditions. “The Blizzak WS80 stops shorter, handles better and grips the road more than our best-selling WS70 tire, which the WS80 replaces,” says Anant Gandhi, product manager, Bridgestone Americas.

The WS80 tire has several technological improvements over the WS70:

* a proprietary hydrophilic (water-loving) coating that allows the tire’s multi-cell compound to attract water, drawing it away from the road to combat slippage on ice;

* bite particles in the multi-cell compound that act as microscopic studs for road grip and improved braking on ice;

* optimized contact pressure and cavity shape that helps to distribute forces evenly and effectively for better stability and control; and

* a new tread pattern with 20% more block edges and higher edge/block density to channel snow, slush and water away from the contact area for added control.

This is first time I see them, but based on looks, much more capable then Michelin xIce3.

Why doesn't Tire Rack give a discount on closeout tires?

And why do they even sell tires from 2005? (I came across a tire that said "2005 production") Why not just send them back to be recycled? And of course, they seemed to be full price.

hero.png

seems like it might be loud and squishy even with interlocking sipes.. but surely they computer optimized it to reduce noise.
I'd say these look more serious than the xice xi3 but will have more drawbacks..
the best thing about the xice xi3 is its almost normal tire handling..

looks abit more like their truck sized version

the dm-v1

in other news saw 2 suvs' with those still on this week at the grocery store...

and they will wonder why their tires only lasted 1 winter and curse blizzacks
25.gif

2014-06-23%2011.46.28.jpg

Last edited:
"The WS80 is available in 48 sizes in 15-inch to 18-inch rim diameters, 35 to 70 series, and speed ratings T and H."

That looks more like Xi3 than old WS70, the speed ratings that is.

Krzys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Why doesn't Tire Rack give a discount on closeout tires?.....[/quote}

When I looked, the original price had been crossed out (nice bit of programming!) and a lower price indicated with a note "Closeout". So I'm totally not getting where you are coming from.

tommygunn said:
.....And why do they even sell tires from 2005? (I came across a tire that said "2005 production") Why not just send them back to be recycled? And of course, they seemed to be full price.

Because, recycling tires just isn't what you think it is. More like "burning" or "chopping up into little pieces and trying to find a way to use that stuff."

Besides, even an 8 year old tire might be useful in a very cold climate. It will have a limited life span, but someone may find them useful. At least they are being up front about it.

Seems I can get a set of the Blizzaks for $350 to my door.

Going to be very tempting to not do that and offload the old Winterfarce tires.

Originally Posted By: Rand
hero.png

seems like it might be loud and squishy even with interlocking sipes.. but surely they computer optimized it to reduce noise.
I'd say these look more serious than the xice xi3 but will have more drawbacks..
the best thing about the xice xi3 is its almost normal tire handling..

looks abit more like their truck sized version

the dm-v1

in other news saw 2 suvs' with those still on this week at the grocery store...

and they will wonder why their tires only lasted 1 winter and curse blizzacks
25.gif

2014-06-23%2011.46.28.jpg

I always see people driving around in the summer with snow tires. Makes me cringe.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
"The WS80 is available in 48 sizes in 15-inch to 18-inch rim diameters, 35 to 70 series, and speed ratings T and H."

That looks more like Xi3 than old WS70, the speed ratings that is.

Krzys

It just looks, but look tread pattern, distance between tread blocks, sipes. This is more serious winter tire.
I would say they want to offer this tire for some sporty cars, that is why H is offered.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

What's wrong with Winterforce? IIRC they were loud, and probably short-lived tread. Am tempted to try this winter, seems like I can't get more than a couple years out of a set of tires anyhow.

WS80

Mighty Molecules

A new Hydrophilic Coating reacts to the elements for confident stopping power on snow and ice. Advanced Multicell Compount® with Nano Pro-Tech® works at a molecular level to remain pliable in cold.
Optimized Construction

New Cavity Shape distributes contact pressure uniformly across the entire footprint area for even wear and dry, ice and snow performance
Serious Tread

Bite particles act like microscopic studs providing confident road grip and braking on ice. 3D Zigzag Sipes create biting edges without sacrificing block stiffness. Increased block edges by 20% (compared to WS70) for better handling on snow and slush.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/blizzak-ws80

Originally Posted By: Miller88

What's wrong with Winterforce? IIRC they were loud, and probably short-lived tread. Am tempted to try this winter, seems like I can't get more than a couple years out of a set of tires anyhow.

Loud, really. They have to be studded to do well on hard packed snow and ice. I have mine studded. They have worked well for me. There are definitely better.

Better than all seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back