Blind test: pick one

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Lets have some fun with this one. No war allowed, only friendly banter. Based on the numbers, which one would you pick? This oil will be used in a ’09 Ford 4.6 3V and will probably be changed at around 5000Mi because of warranty time limit. Relatively easy miles, almost every trip is long enough for full oil warmup. It doesn’t see a lot of miles because I drive to work Monday morning and it sits until I drive home Thursday night.
These are the only specs I could easily find for all three oils so if there's not enough info, so be it. All three are 5W20 and meet Ford spec.

- OIL 1 - OIL2 - OIL3

Flash Pt - 224 - 231 - > 200

cSt@100C - 8.7 - 8.3 - 8.0

cSt@40C - 50 - 46.8 - 47.5

cP@-30 - 5300 - 3720 - 4700

VI - 164 - 155 - 146

Pour Pt ( C ) - -42 - -45 - -37

TBN - 7.8 - 7.7 - 7.8

ASH - 0.94 - 0.90 - 0.80

The spec sheet for one of the oils is from 2007 so it is possible that the numbers are incorrect, but hey, this is just for fun:)
As Monte Hall would have said, do you pick the door with oil number one, two, or three?
When I get home I’ll let y’all know what you picked. Have a great week everyone.

Last edited:
Oil No. 2, please.

Lowest 40C viscosity and lowest ccs value means it will flow the quickest to engine parts, even in cold weather. Also has the highest FP.

You're in Canada, so I'm pretty sure oil No. 2 is Petro-Canada 'Supreme' 5W-20, which is an EXCELLENT oil.

I'm pretty sure oil No. 3 is Havoline DS 5W-20.

And now that I think of it, No. 1 is Esso Protec/Ultra 5W-20.

Not really a 'fair' choice, as tow of those aren't availiable to our friends in the US......

:p

What about a price as one of the data points :)

Many will pick 2, but if it's 2x the cost of the others, it may not be the best choice.

Before I tell which oil is which, I must say, you guys are good.
Addguy , you were led astray by my location and the assumption these are all Canadian oils. I live close enough to the border that a trip to Lynden Wa is closer than downtown Vancouver, border lineup notwithstanding. ( Right now it's about two hours! )
Steve, absolutely the engine in this thing will outlast the body on any of these oils.
To everyone else, thanks for your replies.
Have a nice weekend everybody. It's a long one for us Canucks!
And the winner is........any of them!
And now......drum roll please.
Oil #1..... Motorcraft Synthetic blend
Oil #2..... Petro Canada Supreme (gold star to addguy)
Oil #3......Chevron Supreme ( same as Havoline? perhaps another gold star)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back