Blind Studies and Brand Preconceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through many of the posted UOAs I am struck by the degree to which preconceived notions seem to greatly color the comments of respondents.

It would be interesting to look at results with all of the brand names and viscosities deleted and then see how people react. I bet the reactions would be much different.

John

If you think it is bad here you ought to read the off topic forum.
wink.gif

To some degree brand loyalty can be good. I think the formuas change and one gets ahead but then another one will better the last one. If you favor a good one it probably will continue to be at the head of the pack. But I agree most people would be lost for an opinion without the name of the product. I see myself doing that alot; wish I didn't.

I don't think you will ever get away from this. Marketing has it's affect on consumers, plus if you sell a product, you must believe strongly in it to do well.

That's why I'm here, to sort through all the hype, marketing, etc. I think many of us are here for that very reason.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I also keep in mind that times change. Many bad product have become great ones and many good brands from the past have gone to the dogs.

I quit buying vehicles on brand or country of origin. It doesn't work. You must research and get the best on it's own merit.

Likewise, you have to find the oil that works for you. I have gotten over the Exxon Valdez and I never had a grudge over the Castrol lawsuit. It was just business and heck Exxon may have even suggested it, who knows.

If I wasn't "trying" to have an open mind, I wouldn't be here.

jthorner,
To some degree personal preference is always going to be present . But it is difficult to argue with the UOA. Even considering 10% error factor it is hard to portray a bad oil in a good light. So a little personal opinion doesn't hurt. Just watch the numbers and factor out the rest.
GregH

Well, stereotypes do have some statistical data behind them.....it ain't different for "oil stereotypes." I do believe though that sometimes we get carried away and put down products that deliver on their promise. Such a case is Castrol and its use of Group 3 basestocks. Many of of though G3 couldn't handle high heat or frigid temps, but we were wrong. Many times, old tales from way in the past scare people away from a product....a good example is GM; I don't think I have the guts to buy a GM V8 in the near future, given all the trouble I've been through with my current one; so there is my preconception....and a justified one!

Anyway, in conclusion; brand loyalty and pre-conceptions DO have some validity.

quote:

Anyway, in conclusion; brand loyalty and pre-conceptions DO have some validity.

I agree. Good point and good post. I think most of us do this a little bit. It's like that guy who hypes up Mobil 1 R all the time. What a moron.
grin.gif

[ February 20, 2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Yes, perceptions color most posts here, no doubt about it. Its good and bad.

It is funny to watch two different oils post nearly identical results in the same motor and have some denounce one as bad and the other good.
dunno.gif

Thats why I like to see the actual numbers myself. Then I can draw the conclusions rather than being brand biased...

My post was prompted by reading oil analysis results which showed excellent readings ... followed by comments like "you should try Redline" or "Castrol are a bunch of lying thieves" and the ever present "you should be running a heavier weight oil.

Then there is the chorus which says a Fram X2 filter has to be a rip off because, well, it is made by Fram.

The great thing about this forum is that it provides a place where much of the objective information that the industry knows about can get out to the customers one way or the other.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back