BLEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can u help me out with this..i have 2 quarts of Delo 15w40 and a couple of quarts of Supreme 10w30, if i mix this two what grade would i get?
Thanks

We have had many good UOAs here on the board using "brewed" oil. I have even devoted a new smiley to "brewing" -->
stirthepot.gif
, properly named, Molabrew

What did you broo, Patz?

I just emailed the SX UP folks to see what they're brewing with Moly, Calcium, and Boron, without ZDDP for a modern day additive that won't foul my cat.

Nothing worse than a fouled cat..

Ask Bruce Willis!
laugh.gif

Quote:

Can u help me out with this..i have 2 quarts of Delo 15w40 and a couple of quarts of Supreme 10w30, if i mix this two what grade would i get?
Thanks

You'll get something in between 10W and 15W and at the high end something between 30 and 40 weight. In other words a heavy 30 wt. and a light 40 wt. No problem doing it. I have mixed all maner of oils over the oils with satisfactory results.
Mainly I mix a quart of RedLine with my othger oils for the moly and the Group V base.

Just m ixing for the sake of mixing doesn't make a whole lot of sense- I think you need a purpose. Now that purose might be just to use up a couple of oils that you might consider too thick to use by themselves.

There are blending charts on the internet, but they aren't meant for calculations with multiviscosity oils.

Here are the UOA results from T-Keith's excellent report from his 3.8L LeSabre running a 50-50 mix of Chevron 10W-30 & Delo 15W-40:

Delo-Supreme mix UOA

While I agree that the online calculators, such as provided by Shell, are intended for use with straight base oils, I see no problems being generated by the use of the calculators on fully blended motor oils.

What we are looking for here is talking points, and if the actual tested viscosity of a blend is 13.6 cSt, while the calculator indicates 14.1 cSt, we still have a valid approximation of the final viscosity for the 2 mixed formulations.

I've always contended that anyone getting involved with a home brew mix comes away from the experiment with a better practical understanding of the effects of viscosity vs. their engine performance.
smile.gif

This blend (two quarts Delo, two quarts 10W-30 Chev Supreme) is exactly what's in my Volvo 740 turbo right now running as an Auto-RX rinse phase. Consumption has slightly decreased during this interval, if anything (I usually have to add about half a quart every 1,000 miles; hasn't gone down on the dipstack at all so far in about 1,000 miles with this "brew").

Your mileage will probably be impacted a little bit, but I doubt protection will be compromised in any way.

What happened to the ability to edit one's own posts? It seems to have disappeared with the new look...

Anyway, it seems that the link I posted is no good anymore...that's too bad, it was a nice calculator and I found it very useful in designing my current blend of M1 5W-20 and 5W-30 to get a specific cSt...

Quote:

What happened to the ability to edit one's own posts? It seems to have disappeared with the new look...

The site admins are aware of the issue and are working on resolving it. The edit function worked for a day or so under the new software, and then somehow it disappeared. There is a work-around that has been posted in the "General" forum that involves overtyping some text in the URL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back