Blend of M1 0W-40 & Redline Straight 50wt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I used to race with a car/engine combo and used redline straight 50wt oil. I ran out of money (and perhaps never had the talent!?), and now track a miata. I have been using M1 0w-40 with good results (apart from some fuel dilution).

I have an almost full box (12 quarts?) of the redline 50wt. Can I mix in say 1qt redline to 3 M1 for summer events to use up? Miata does not run an oil cooler. What are the downsides?

Cheers

You don't change the oil after each weekend with a spec Miata car do you? Maybe twice a season but it should be able to hold up to multiple events very easily. No issues with the oil combo at all.

You call the Redline a "straight" 50 grade. But, isn't it actually a 15W-50?

In any case it has a similar add pack to M1 only at higher levels. The only thing that seems to jump out is the 500-800 ppm of Moly. Not sure if a recent VOA still shows them using that amount.

I'm using a mix of CPC straight 40 and Mobil Delvac MX 15/40. No problems so far, but it doesn't see any sub-zero temperatures.

Putting some actual oil in the 0W-40 seems likely to be a more significant enhancement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jayg
You don't change the oil after each weekend with a spec Miata car do you? Maybe twice a season but it should be able to hold up to multiple events very easily. No issues with the oil combo at all.

Some do, I go three weekends. Without a cooler the oil does get very hot.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
You call the Redline a "straight" 50 grade. But, isn't it actually a 15W-50?

In any case it has a similar add pack to M1 only at higher levels. The only thing that seems to jump out is the 500-800 ppm of Moly. Not sure if a recent VOA still shows them using that amount.

I always thought it was straight 50, but I just checked the website and it says it also meets the specifications for 15w-50 so you are right.

The old bottle I have at home look like this http://www.discoveryparts.com/4460-thick...-line-10505.jpg

No mention of multigrade on the front and I don't think I ever read the back!

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I wouldn't due to additive conflict.

I suspect that's what the marketing department at the oil companies would say also.

Is your advice based on any specific bad experience first hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back