Blaster's LMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone tried Blaster's Lawn Mower Tuneup? I bought some the other day while at the local hardware store, getting some fuel line and some more PB Blaster. I figured, what the hay, Blaster makes some pretty decent products, I will see how it cleans up my neighbors neglected leaf blower that he could not start and asked me to look at.

You take the spark plug out, spray the stuff in the cylinder, put the plug back in loosely, turn the engine over a few times to distribute it in the cylinder and let sit for about 15 minutes. Tighten the plug and put the wire back on then fire it up.

Stuff works pretty good for removing carbon and unburned fuel from 2-cycle piston tops. Thought someone would call the F.D. with all of the smoke!
shocked2.gif
Smoke cleared up in about 5 minutes of running. I let it cool down and pulled the plug and took a look inside. It removed about 30-40% of the fouling. To fix the no-start, I had to rebuild and clean the carb.

Would I recommend it? not really. It does work pretty good as a mosquito fogger. For someone that does not want to tear down an engine to clean the carbon off, you may want to try it.

I have not tried it on a 4-cycle yet, and it is not a miracle cure.

Dave

use water or any solvent(trans fluid,mmo,seafoam, engine tuner) . does the same thing. Just do not hydrolock the motor.
I mix seafoam and starting fluid thru the carb . Some times you don't have to rebuild them. it cleans the jets and once it starts you are all set. worked many times for me.

The neighbors leaf blower needed a rebuild anyhow. The fuel lines were gooey, and when I pulled the carb apart, the gaskets were brittle. He left gas in there a while.

I have used ATF before, but if I have the time, I usually pull the cylinder off and clean/soak the piston and cyl.

Dave

This brings to mind the scene where Greg Brady asks Peter to sand a little harder to get the rust out of the fender of Greg's Lemon car. Peter says..."the rust is the only thing holding it together"! I'd rather pull the carb and clean it, then pull the muffler and scrape out any overly restrictive carbon deposits before putting something in to "clean everything like new".

My Dad put a quart can of Rislone in his car many years ago. It smoked and choked and never ran right again. I ran a small hose from the intake of a Nissan into a container of Sea Foam and let it suck some of it in to "clean" up the deposits left behind over the years. Afterwards, it smoked so badly at start up, I finally had to send it to live with someone else.

I'm always leary of products that "clean" things up by adding them to the gas or spraying them directly into the cylinder or intake. A little Sea Foam or something else in the gas as a preventitive measure is one thing...

I might just use this stuff like brake cleaner, when I am scraping carbon off the pistons/heads on my lawn mower this weekend. It does a pretty decent job of getting the gook out of the exhaust ports (forgot to mention in original post). Spray it on, let it sit for 1/2 hour and wipe it off.
Oh well, it was only about 3 bucks.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back