Blast from the Past! Coastal 30w SA and AAP 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while rummaging through the shed American Pickers style today to find a impact driver (found it!) I came across these two bottles today, I doubt Ill use them in anything maybe just to Lubricate chainsaw blades/loosen up rusty nails. screws, hinges, etc. But interesting to say the least, The Coastal was always used in my GPA's old '56 F-100 and the AAP though not old was used in my Step Dads old '81 GMC Sierra, both still running today, both used Puro or Napa Filters there whole life. Needless to say the GMC is now owned by my neighbor, but after 480,000 miles of using cheap oil, when we sold it to them they took off the valve covers and there was NO Sludge!

My uncle now owns the F-100, he uses QS 10w-30 in it now GB, still runs like my GPA had it running, but I remember when I was 8 him saying the engine always ran on 30w, occasionally 10w-30 when multigrades hit, but his old saying was "Nothing makes an engine purr and roar like 30w ND"

Idk how old the Coastal is, its a SA grade oil, so it can be too new :p this one is opened, im sure If I look hard enough in one of the sheds I can prolly find unopened ones, and unopened other oils, another old rule my gpa always told me "Your truck takes 5 quarts of oil? buy 7, keep 2 in the cab, never know when your haulin or working and it'll burn or leak"

Obviously oils have become much, much more steady since.

dscn0918h.jpg

just proves, there really is no "Best Oil" but there are "Best oils for your application"

in other words, if it works, and youre satisfied, keep using it!

dscn0920h.jpg

They still make Non detergent oil but I think the API frowns upon anyone claiming "API SA" as they don't license obsolete specs.

I bet those antiques might be five years old or so. Before 1983 most oil came in cans, and UPC bar codes started in the mid 1970s.
wink.gif

I liked those old time sayings. My grandpa tried giving me his grand marquis when he stopped driving at age 96, and he was selling me on it because he "kept it tuned up"!
lol.gif

oh and those old stories of "Back in my day..." sometimes crack me up too, but then you realize after they are gone past, that some of them arent all that crazy :), remember my Gpas saying about Fram, when I told him I liked the orange cans better...

His motto on that was "Freakin Ruins All Motors"

well, thats the SFW non obscene version, if you are nosy, the Freakin replaces the shortened term for "Fire Truck"

note though how they are the same Bottles, is AAP oil still made by the same people that make Coastal?

I believe that Coastal was bought out by another oil company called Warren Oil in NC. This Warren oil is not to be confused with WPP/WNE, Warren Performance Products of Nebraska.

I'm not sure if Warren still bottles and labels the Dino and Synthetic Oil products for Advance Auto.

There was an evaluation of Warren Oil Dino in 5W-30 performed by the lab that is used by the PQIA.

Here was the oil analysis done....

http://www.pqiamerica.com/warrenoilnov2010.htm

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
note though how they are the same Bottles, is AAP oil still made by the same people that make Coastal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back