Blade spindles

I agree with this guy. I like how JD says the grease is a heat sink. Yet I'm sure if I took my 11 hour or so spindles apart there would be maybe a little dab of grease there. I'm sure Homedepot didn't waste 2 tube of grease to fill them to the brim so to say.

That's all well and fine on those cheap mowers with sealed bearings, but plenty of models exist (typically your larger and/or older varieties of lawn/garden tractors) that don't employ sealed bearings and absolutely need periodic lubrication.

You can put new bearings in most spindles. With the John Deere and others using sealed bearings and grease fittings on their spindles, take out one of the grease shields on each bearing. Install the bearings with the shielded side outward. Now, you can grease your spindle bearings.

You can put new bearings in most spindles. With the John Deere and others using sealed bearings and grease fittings on their spindles, take out one of the grease shields on each bearing. Install the bearings with the shielded side outward. Now, you can grease your spindle bearings.
Agree I did this to mine last year during a deck rebuild. This year a few shots of grease and I was good to go.

Just my $0.02

Yep, I too have disassembled spindles with grease zerks to find "sealed" bearings in there. Not sure what the grease would do in these applications other than maybe act as a heat sink, or you hope some oil from the grease works it way past the shields. Like said above, not a bad idea to check and pull a shield if you can.

Back