Blackstone Soot test?

About to send off an Oil sample and was wondering if anyone had had a Blackstone Soot test done? Was Thinking of doing that instead of TBN?

For gasoline engine it occurs in smaller particles when GDI is used. was wondering if anyone had any useful results.

Last edited:
Blackstone does not do a "soot test" that I'm aware of. They do a general observation for "insolubles"; it's a diluted sample compared to a visual standard reference. You can read about it here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-2/
I had seen a price sheet for soot analysisfor them somewhere but I am not certain it is granular enough for what I was looking for. I had not seen this article before I just looked again,
they seem to report soot by percentage. I was looking to See if it had the potential to identify excessive gasoline soot. my understanding is that these particles agglomerate Into smaller, harder and more abrasive components that do not easily filter out.
I’ll probably just run a standard with tbn. Thisis a pre power train warranty expiration check for the most part. an OCI fitness for duty evaluation secondarily.

Cool; thanks for the update! I was unaware that they now offered this as an option. I stand corrected.

What I would be curious about is how the % soot test relates to wear data. Soot by percent really does not speak to particle size; only quantity as a ratio. Enough marbles can weigh as much as a bowling ball, and the "percent" of weight would be identical. But not size. So I'd be curious to know how their test relates to other factors in considering wear control.

I say go for it! It's hard for me to live vicariously through you if you don't spend the money! :ROFLMAO:

Back