Blacklion CILERRO BH15 - 2002 VW Eurovan

I am working on a 2002 VW Eurovan. This is the basic van - not the model with a rooftop camper.

VW specs a 225/60R16 tire with a 102 load index. The 102 load index supports up to 1,874 lbs at max pressure (51 psi).

The van currently has a matching set of Blacklion Cilerro BH15 tires in the correct size, but with a 98 load index at max pressure (44 psi). I am unable to find any info online for supported weight.

Do we have a safety issue that needs to be immediately addressed? The van is regularly used to transport 5-7 people for family trips.

Isn't the load rating on the sidewall? Van weighs probably 4,000 pounds. Add 1,000 pounds for average people. That's 1,250 pounds per tire or a little more for the front ones. Seems fine.

Pretty slim offerings in that size and load index. Going to a 215/65/16 would give you a much wider choice. The tire would have a slightly larger diameter and would meet the load index.

Eurovans and Vanagons need a LT/“C”-rated tire on them. Michelin used to import the Aglis for the Eurovan, so did Conti with the VancoContact in that size. Michelin and Conti are supporting the Transit/Connect and Nissan NV200 now - the Eurovan/Vanagon are a “niche” market not worth their time.

You need to deduct 10% from that 98 load index to get the “true” weight capacity for those tires. Too many people are installing “passenger” tires on those. I know of someone that had a tire shop install the wrong tires - he found a set of General Grabber ATx in an 14” LR C size to fix that.

Last edited:
Back