Blackjack Driveway Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this Black Jack Drive-Maxx driveway coating? https://blackjackcoatings.com/colle...alers/products/black-jack-drive-maxx-700

If you have any direct experience with this, please let me know what you think of it.

FWIW: My asphalt driveway just turned 3 years old. At the very edges where it interfaces with concrete sidewalks and brick walkways, it's first starting to break down. Some of the pebbles are loosening-up in the damp areas. I want to head this off at the pass.

Much thanks...

Ray

Go with something that is acrylic based, rather than the old-school coal-tar based products.

https://blackjackcoatings.com/collections/blacktop-driveway-sealers/products/black-jack-armormaxx

This is the asphalt driveway that I have to maintain.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Has anyone used this Black Jack Drive-Maxx driveway coating? https://blackjackcoatings.com/colle...alers/products/black-jack-drive-maxx-700

If you have any direct experience with this, please let me know what you think of it.

FWIW: My asphalt driveway just turned 3 years old. At the very edges where it interfaces with concrete sidewalks and brick walkways, it's first starting to break down. Some of the pebbles are loosening-up in the damp areas. I want to head this off at the pass.

Much thanks...

Ray

I haven's used that brand, but I've used others including Rustoleum's brand. I find them all similar. Not sure if the 7 year formula actually lasts 7 years. I usually coat the driveways every 2-3 years. I power wash it a day or two before. I find the brush and squeege attachment is better at getting the sealer into all the dimples and cracks. A roller can't force the product into those crevices.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ULqEfwfc8Bx3wZKJ6

I've used the black jack products and they basically start to crack and flake off after one moderate winter in New England. This one with the sand particles will leave sand behind every time you drive your tires wet over the driveway. You'll be sweeping some sand after every rain storm. My car leaves "sandy" tire tracks behind after the wet driveway dries out. I find it comical that for nearly all of these driveway "sealers" intended to "last" 3-10 yrs....are lucky if you 2 yrs out of them.

New asphalt shouldn't even be sealed until around the 5 yr point...or so I've read.

We went to the moon and back -and have probes circling the sun without burning up! Do we have driveway sealer that last more than 3 years? No! Now why is that?

... I've had this house 21 years and the house before this for 14. Both had asphalt driveways and I've done this fire drill countless times and not one of these driveway sealers is worth a [insert cuss-word here]. Sigh!

I guess I'll run out and play eany, meany, miney moe at the hardware store to figure-out which product I'll try next.

Thanks all the same...

Ray

Have not used that one but Costco has a very good one for $20 a bucket. Used that on my BiLs driveway and its been 2 years and still looks pretty good.

I agree I have never seen a sealer look great/last more than 3 years. So I would skip the very costly ones and stick to the mid-range products.

Ray CJ I can answer that! Because we are tight [censored]'s! The material is out there but we won't out lay enough cash to do it right.

Originally Posted by Linctex

If you don't have a solid gold squeegee like mine, a stick and a used dollar store windshield wiper will do.

Well, I went with the Black Jack Drive-Maxx 1000. Supposedly good for 10 years... I'll be happy to get 4-5. It took 30-40 minutes to apply (if that long) and dried in 1 hour. First time I ever used a product that cleaned-up with water.

Anyhow, I went with this one because the other stores around here were selling brands that contained basically the same ingredients. A coin-toss decided this was the winner.

Ray

None of them will last as long as advertised. Period. Be happy with getting a few years out of them. Brand made no difference.

Don't use one with Coal Tar in it (if you can even find them anymore). I deal with what happens as that stuff wears off and accumulates in stormwater ponds, wetlands, and lakes downstream. Cleaning them up requires landfilling the material, which drives disposal costs through the roof, and results in your tax bills being higher.

I switched to a concrete driveway, and don't miss this exercise every 3 years or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back