Black widows

Status
Not open for further replies.
My yard gets lots of spiders, but Black widows are up in population density, problem is my vehicle gets little use and they love to get into the qtr panels and everywhere else, they fill the underside with theirs odd looking webs.

I'm looking for the best way to eradicate them at least a treatment. Ive had good luck with Raid Max, at least with Roaches.

Any ideas.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Flush them out with water, a stick, gloves, etc. They aren't that quick.
Problem is I don't know where they're at, and Ive tried water before, but they hang on real good, and if I could see them its curtains.

I need some chemicals that kill spiders and keeps on killing, not sure what works best, If I'm going to stink up the car I would like it to be effective.

A can of cheap carb cleaner or raid and a trip out in the dark. They are only active at night and hiding in a hole or crack most of the day. General sprays don't do much good on these or brown recluse as neither seem to do enough travling to pick up the poison. A "search and destroy" method seems to work best. A flashlight in one had and something to kill in the other at about 10-11pm works pretty good.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
What about all the egg sacs hidden under the seats and in every crevice?
LOL.

What about all the egg sacs hidden under the seats and in every crevice?

Cheap carb cleaner takes care of those too! Search and destroy! Just don't spray your paintjob if its a nice car.

While in collage I lived in an on campus apartment. The campus was sprayed often and I noticed few pests of any kind with the exception of black widows one warm year. I went around a few nights around my apartment at about 10 pm and had only a flashlight and needle nose pliers. I must have killed over 100 of them!

I did this because several friends there had little ones and feared one might be bitten. And I have been bitten by one. The bite isn't painfull I hardly felt it but less than an hour later my leg was more or less paralized and throbbing with pain.

During the daytime you would only see the webs. The bug guy sprayed during the day and didn't hit them because they would be hiding in a crack or whatnot.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I've heard that Ortho Home Defense (a spray available at home centers) is very effective on spiders

Maybe the product increases fertility in the survivors. That would be good for repeated business. "Please, spray again!"

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I've heard that Ortho Home Defense (a spray available at home centers) is very effective on spiders

Yes, plus it works for like 6 months or so. It doesn't stink too bad either so you could spray all in and around the car.

They prey of the spiders will be very happy.
grin2.gif

They prey of the spiders will be very happy.
grin2.gif

Hey smart [censored], guess you've never been bitten by a black widow? I have and its not a very nice experience, theres an anti venom but can only be taken once in your life, so I don't take it, I'll wait till I'm old and in poor health, because a bite from this spider can actually kill you depending on your condition.

Thanks for your insightful input,
smirk2.gif
You've made three posts and provided nothing, maybe you amused yourself, guess thats how you get over 23k posts.
LOL.gif
grin2.gif

Crusty, I have the scars of three spider bites that I had to have surgically removed because the bites wouldn't heal. All those bites occurred when camping. At least one bite was from a brown recluse. So, yes, I have had the pleasure of getting bitten by spiders.

Whether or not my snarky remarks amuse, entertain, or annoy you, is of no significance to me. Carry on, and watch out for evil octopeds.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Crustacean
My yard gets lots of spiders, but Black widows are up in population density, problem is my vehicle gets little use and they love to get into the qtr panels and everywhere else, they fill the underside with theirs odd looking webs.

I'm looking for the best way to eradicate them at least a treatment. Ive had good luck with Raid Max, at least with Roaches.

Any ideas.
I'm in the pest control industry and I will tell you the best abd least expensive way to get rid of these suckers.Glueboards are the very best way to start.You can buy these at Lowes or H-Depot.Buy the ones that you can fold into a box and place them in dark and discrete places.These glueboard traps have a smell that attracts them and once they are on there is no way they will get off.These work!I have seen over a hundred brown recluse spiders caught on one glueboard trap that were put out for only 2 weeks.If you seek the help of a proffesional,find a local small company that has been in business for a while.What part of the country do you live in?

Thanks everyone, I tried smoking them out, looks like it weorked havent seen any new webs, I will buy some Ortho and some sticky traps for the Reclusive ones under the trailer. Im in Frostproof Florida and theirs lots of them ther Spiders around along with Scorpions all over, you always check the shoes.

When I used to work in used construction equipment, I'd hook up one of those propane brush burners to a propane tank and do a quick sweep over the equipment before working on them. Especially on the undercarriage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back