Black Stone Lab results on 2009 Sonata with 98,712 miles.

OIL type and grade: NAPA 5W30 conventional
MILES on oil at time of sample: 6800 miles, oil was in vehicle for 10 months
MILES on vehicle: 98,712
SAMPLE TAKEN 6/22/2020
Make up oil added: 0
Make & Model 2009 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 L

Comments from Blackstone Lab: Thanks for the notes. We compared your results to averages based on the 6800 miles on the oil, not the 10 months that the oil was in place. The oil in a modern engine wont go bad from just sitting in the engine- it's miles alone that count. Averages for this engine are based on 6800 miles on the oil
Wear metals in your sample are lower across the board which is agreat sign that the internal parts are in a helthy state of operation. The viscosity tested slightly thin,but that did not bother anything. The TBN of 1.7 is good(1.0 or less is low) Try 8K miles.

Edit: table added to increase readability

As testedUnit averagesUniversal Averages
ALUMINUM
2​
3​
3​
CHROMIUM
0​
1​
0​
IRON
9​
9​
9​
COPPER
1​
1​
2​
LEAD
0​
0​
0​
TIN
0​
0​
0​
MOLYBDENUM
48​
48​
74​
NICKEL
1​
1​
1​
MANGANESE
1​
1​
1​
SILVER
0​
0​
0​
TITANIUM
25​
25​
8​
POTASSIUM
1​
1​
1​
BORON
56​
56​
96​
SILICON
7​
7​
9​
SODIUM
18​
18​
20​
CALCIUM
1049​
1049​
1496​
MAGNESIUM
635​
635​
345​
PHOSPHORUS
587​
587​
700​
ZINC
659​
659​
699​
BARIUM
0​
0​
0​
(Values should be)
SUS Viscosity @210 F: 52.8 - 55-62
cST Viscosity @100C : 8.13 - 8.8- 11.1
FLASHPOINT in F: :380 - >375
FUEL % : ANTIFREEZE%: 0.0 - 0.0
WATER % : 0.0 - INSOULUBLES: Trace - TBN: 1.7 - >1

This is my college daughters college car and miles are about 75% city 25% highway miles. It came with good service records when we bought it for her at 82K miles it and had always had NAPA conventional 5w30, so I just stick with that. Wife and I have another 09 Sonata as well and a Forester but decided to get a OA on this car since she drives more than we do. Anyway I tried to post the PDF file that Blackstone sent me but computer is not my expertise and I don't do spreadsheets and excel and such, so I just typed this out long hand ,copying the Blackstone test results. I could not get the pdf Blackstone results to copy over. Anyway Some rows are a bit crooked and the 3 rows of averages crunched together, but I did the best I could. I doubt if I will send for another OA for this vehicle but I am going to go to the 8K OCI next time as the Blackstone people recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really good! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, It would have certainly been neater and easier to read the values had I been able to figure out how to copy the PDF that Blackstone lab emailed me, but anyway I am confident in going 8K OCI next time. which is about how many miles she puts on the car during a school year, it will be a lot less miles this year, since most all her classes at U of Nebraska are online this year. She might have 1 in person class and that is only 1 day a week, so alot less miles. That oil may very well be in the sump for 15 months before she hits 8K.

Last edited:
I agree...and I'd go with NAPA Synthetic (or ST, QSUD, etc...) for just a few bucks more....
I am going with napa synthetic next time in that sonata. I just bought a 5qt jug for $15.49 at Napa a few days back. It was only a couple $ more than the regular. I doubt if i will do another Oil test again though. The test turned out very well according to the Blackstone test and that was with regular dino. Napa syn is Valvoline so it's good oil.

I am going with napa synthetic next time in that sonata. I just bought a 5qt jug for $15.49 at Napa a few days back. It was only a couple $ more than the regular. I doubt if i will do another Oil test again though. The test turned out very well according to the Blackstone test and that was with regular dino. Napa syn is Valvoline so it's good oil.

I would do the same there too! Both their “conventional” and synthetic are great oils that I’ve used extensively as well (gotta love valvoline!).

I would do the same there too! Both their “conventional” and synthetic are great oils that I’ve used extensively as well (gotta love valvoline!).
regular price on Napa synthetic is around $28.00, but once or twice a year they do have decent sale on Napa oil and this month is a good one, so I cant see passing it up. Just changed oil in daughter's Sonata back in June so sometime next summer when it hits the 7-8K mark I will put the Napa syn in and forget about it for 10k. So far our forester and our other 09S onata are doing just fine on the regular TSC oil so i am going to leave them as they are. Being retired wife and I probably put on no more than 4-5 k per year anyway on either of them.

regular price on Napa synthetic is around $28.00, but once or twice a year they do have decent sale on Napa oil and this month is a good one, so I cant see passing it up. Just changed oil in daughter's Sonata back in June so sometime next summer when it hits the 7-8K mark I will put the Napa syn in and forget about it for 10k. So far our forester and our other 09S onata are doing just fine on the regular TSC oil so i am going to leave them as they are. Being retired wife and I probably put on no more than 4-5 k per year anyway on either of them.

Yeah exactly, I would never buy them at full price (because it just makes no sense to pay such a premium for a house brand or any oil really) but when they go on sale I tend to stock up on both. I have a UOA for a Forester XT posted up from a while back that was Napa Syn for 6k miles of severe duty and it did great!

does this have the same DI engine as Tuscon? our Tuscon has a 2.4L DI and oil looks nasty black by 6-7K and I try not to extend much beyond that.

does this have the same DI engine as Tuscon? our Tuscon has a 2.4L DI and oil looks nasty black by 6-7K and I try not to extend much beyond that.
Yes it has a 2.4L engine. Oil at time I took sample to send to Blackstone was not black, more of a darker shade of amber at 6800 miles. Usually I change oil right around 5k and rarely over 6K Took this one a bit longer that I planned, but Blackstone results were good. Just because blackstone recommends that I try for 8k next time does not mean I will. I plan to keep OCI on daughters sonata at 8k next time because I have some Napa synthetic oil that I will use at next oil change which will probably be a year away since when i did sample back in June 2020 I put in Napa conventional and she will be probably 90% city 10% hiway this year. I go 5k on our other sonata and our forester using TSC conventional oil or sometimes shell, which ever is cheaper. Once daughters car gets to 5-6 k i will do that OC with Napa synthetic and go for 8k then since i recently bought a jug on sale at NAPA for about $15.00

Is the tested oil essentially the same as Valvoline Daily Protection? I have a bunch of $10 oil, filter and rotate coupons that I'm working through. Mine burned through 1.5 quarts in 5000 miles though I topped off with a quart of Harvest King syn and a pint of Rislone. Switching to ST syn for the winter seems to show reduced consumption in my 2 liter Soul

Is the tested oil essentially the same as Valvoline Daily Protection? I have a bunch of $10 oil, filter and rotate coupons that I'm working through. Mine burned through 1.5 quarts in 5000 miles though I topped off with a quart of Harvest King syn and a pint of Rislone. Switching to ST syn for the winter seems to show reduced consumption in my 2 liter Soul
I dont know if NAPA oil is exactly the same, but it does say Valvoline on the back of the Napa oil jugs and the NAPA oil MSDS has the Valvoline on it as well. and ashland oil who makes Valvoline , I am not cracking molecules , any oil with the starburst is good oil. it's close enough for me and cheap enough and the Blackstone lab results came out well. I would say use napa or use Valvoline either is fine .

If looking for a synthetic Super Tech is always sale priced ...
Doesnt really matter syn or conv.
Not sure of the desire to run the oil longer. To me 9 months and 7000 miles is good service.

I dont know if NAPA oil is exactly the same, but it does say Valvoline on the back of the Napa oil jugs and the NAPA oil MSDS has the Valvoline on it as well. and ashland oil who makes Valvoline , I am not cracking molecules , any oil with the starburst is good oil. it's close enough for me and cheap enough and the Blackstone lab results came out well. I would say use napa or use Valvoline either is fine .
Good to know cause oil filter and rotate for ten bucks is tough to pass on when you live in a condo and can't change your own. BTW Valvoline split from Ashland kind of like Phillips 66 split from Conoco Phillips.

Back