Black oil used in VW/Porsche from Germany: What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a VW Golf GL a couple years ago. The guy who owned it had his buddy who owned a Porsche shop do all the maintainence. They used an oil that was black out of the bottle. The bottle was white with black writing and German on it IIRC.

Any idea what it was?

I bet youre right! It looked shimmery in the light as if there were suspended particles in it.

Gotta be horrible for the engine, no?

I would not use it!
nono.gif

Porche now uses M1 0W-40 factory fill. I remember my dad using that graphite stuff in our lawnmower when I was a kid. Yuck!

quote:

Originally posted by poison:
I bought a VW Golf GL a couple years ago. The guy who owned it had his buddy who owned a Porsche shop do all the maintainence. They used an oil that was black out of the bottle. The bottle was white with black writing and German on it IIRC.

Any idea what it was?

Sounds like my used oil.
grin.gif

I'll sell you some.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:

quote:

Originally posted by poison:

Any idea what it was?

Sounds like my used oil.
grin.gif

I'll sell you some.
tongue.gif

bj,

You opportunistic capitalist you...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
You forgot the "pig".
smile.gif

No, "Z," I didn't forget him; he's in the back seat. You probably didn't recognize him in his new Mobil1 racing jacket.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
That'll do, Herr Scholte. That'll do.

Aha...it took the Mobil1 racing pig to smoke the Eeziffer (how do you pronounce YZF anyway?) out of the ether...so to speak. Empfang, mein Freund.

I used Arco Graphite back in the '70s for a few oil changes. The biggest problem I remember with it was that it was not compatible with any other oil. They advised against mixing conventional and graphite oils together. So if you were down a quart, you had to find a quart of Arco Graphite!

One benefit: It was real easy to read the dipstick.

If this guy was pouring black oil out of a bottle, it was probably used oil.

Anyone ever hear of "Molyfleet"? Looked sorta like repackaged Arco Graphite. It came out a little after AG. It didn't last long on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back