Black Oil Fill Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the oil fill hole on my car. Oil changed every 5k miles with Toyota dealer bulk oil during the past 160k miles. No short tripping. Does that look normal?

Had other cars with more miles, those were clean. Looks like the oil is getting cooked under the cap.

When I got my Firebird there was a bunch of build-up under the oil cap and a bit of varnish in the oil filler neck. I attributed this to the previous owner using it mainly for short trips and the condensation/gasses built-up in that area without being burnt off. I cleaned it off 4,000 miles ago and so far it hasn't returned. There is still some varnish in the filler neck, but the valve train looks clean from what I can see through the neck. In short, the black junk you see on the baffle may not necessarily mean the rest of the engine is sludged/varnished. BTW, is this in one of the sludge-prone Toyota engines?

Use rotella 5w-40 and do 2 short OCI. Use a good filter like a tough guard as well. Hopefully, you'll see it cleaned up. It looks like the bottom of my grill after a year..

my sister in laws 97 Avalon is a sludger engine.
It has been fed mobil 1 5w30 since 20k. the OCI is 10k-13k. Not one drop of oil is used. it's still full when I change it out.
the oil filler cap has the baffle on it and I hate it. have to pour the oil ever so slowly!
But the baffle has the same looking oil crud. BUT when I drain the oil out, it's definetely not the honey color, but it isn't jet black either. If I cared enough, I'd do a blackstone labs eval on it just to see what it's doing.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
When I got my Firebird there was a bunch of build-up under the oil cap and a bit of varnish in the oil filler neck. I attributed this to the previous owner using it mainly for short trips and the condensation/gasses built-up in that area without being burnt off. I cleaned it off 4,000 miles ago and so far it hasn't returned. There is still some varnish in the filler neck, but the valve train looks clean from what I can see through the neck. In short, the black junk you see on the baffle may not necessarily mean the rest of the engine is sludged/varnished. BTW, is this in one of the sludge-prone Toyota engines?

No, it is 1Nz-Fe, 1.5lt engine.
I do not want to open the valve cover yet, and trying to clean from outside might add dirt.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Use rotella 5w-40 and do 2 short OCI. Use a good filter like a tough guard as well. Hopefully, you'll see it cleaned up. It looks like the bottom of my grill after a year..

I changed last fill within 150 miles, new fill is Pennz. platinum 10w-30 with a Denso filter. Will change oil within 1000 mile again. Had accumulated over 100 qts of Pennzoil through FRN.

Originally Posted By: EricF
my sister in laws 97 Avalon is a sludger engine.
It has been fed mobil 1 5w30 since 20k. the OCI is 10k-13k. Not one drop of oil is used. it's still full when I change it out.
the oil filler cap has the baffle on it and I hate it. have to pour the oil ever so slowly!
But the baffle has the same looking oil crud. BUT when I drain the oil out, it's definetely not the honey color, but it isn't jet black either. If I cared enough, I'd do a blackstone labs eval on it just to see what it's doing.

You think it is the baffle? Either way I will do a few short interval oil changes and see if that will help clean the hole. I do not think the inside is dirty, I would know driving it if it were I think. It is responsive, feels like a young car/engine.

Hard to say. Some Toyotas like my Tacoma 3.4L have a baffle type set up at the top central area of the fill hole. It tends to appear darker or blackish but that may not be a true indication of what the valve train really looks like. Not sure what Toyota this is, but I don't see the cam area etc. so I can't really say. Not really sure what I'm seeing in the very center of the fill hole.

It is a 2006 Scion xB with 1NZ-FE engine. I can not see the inside of the engine, what I see is a metal plate which is dark surrounded by the inside threads of the filler neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back