Black is the silliest car color - prove me wrong

So. I get that when super clean and under certain angle black can look superb. But. Under most conditions, a black car looks like a black hole, void, or a blob

Black hides all of the lines/complex stamping and turns a cars silhouette into a said black blob, hole, void.

Just the other day I saw a new(er) Audi RS6 Avant - $122k starting price - on the freeway. I could tell it was something serious from afar, but because the car was black and tinted I could only make out what it is, and kind of, sort of see it’s nice curves, complex stampings only when I got up close. Even then barely. It was just a big black blob…

Then, half an hour later I saw the same car but in lighter color, and what a difference it makes. Like a beautiful woman in a form fitting cocktail dress, or sportswear instead of wearing russian grandma style THICK fleece jacket that hides everything.

I have observed the same effect with other cars too. Black just sucks on good looking cars, as it makes them …. Well, you already know what I think.

So, although owners of black cars might think they look sharp driving a black car, with tinted windows and black wheels (worst case scenario) in reality they are invisible to others the way a black hole is.

Why buy a good looking car and then negate its looks by choosing it in black?

P.S. “your money your choice” blah-blah-blah. I’m not saying you are not allowed to own a black car, I merely question adequacy of such a decision on a good looking cars

Last edited:
Silliest? VW once offered a "calico" Golf. Each body panel was a different color.
I remember those. There was one in my neighborhood and I saw it several times a week. Came to like it. It was actually called Harlequin and came in several different color patterns. The original was introduced in the mid-1990s and was reintroduced in 2021. There was even a line of VW-patterned Harlequin clothes of which I remember a hooded sweatshirt.

there are several cars/trucks that look good in black

Because it hides their porkiness by making their silhouettes more “monotone”? Black is a color that will slim your figure down a bit, where as white will show/accentuate all of the extra lb one carries

I have my preferences towards color but each to their own . Some times I think what does color have to do with the
fit and function of a motor vehicle?

I have my preferences towards color but each to their own . Some times I think what does color have to do with the
fit and function of a motor vehicle?
If you ever got a deal on a vehicle because the color is not popular in the end you get used to it and buy that color again...seen it many times.
Agreed...

I get they are off putting at first, but have grown to think it is kinds cool...

I actually think the Silliest paints are the Matte and flat finishes - extra silly if wrap, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Last edited:

I get they are of putting at first, but have grown to this it is kinds cool...

I actually think the Silliest paints are the Matte and flat finishes - extra silly if wrap, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
I think that matte and flat finishes can look great - often extremely elegant and sporty. That said, they also can look like crap is short order, should not go through car washes, and are impossible to maintain. I see a few folks driving matte Genesises around and feel sorry as they aready look like poopy.

Back