Black Ice

I put them around the corner while they inflated to 8.5 bar/125 psi.

Had one or 2 that destroyed themselves, both just came back from rethreading

"Black ice" is basically just frozen water on the road surface which becomes a layer of ice. I've seen a 1/4~3/8 inch of ice on the roads from freezing rain.
It's usually a very thin layer and is called Black Ice because you can't see it, so don't know it's there until it is too late.

I was watching a show on NATGEO called HIGHWAY THRU HELL. They were filming in British Columbia during a winter storm. Their focus was mainly on a highway named The Coquihalla Highway. The roads were layered with black ice and snow. There were some very serious accidents because of the Black Ice. There was even a fatal crash.
Black Ice, what exactly is it and is it as deadly as they say? Does spreading salt on it help at all?
Black Ice is water that has frozen and you can't see it. It is probably the most dangerous condition on the road.

Also, Ice Road Truckers is a show with a spectacularly little amount of actual driving. Just the shenanigans of the crew, and shipping offices and chains snapped because it is so cold.

I was watching a show on NATGEO called HIGHWAY THRU HELL. They were filming in British Columbia during a winter storm. Their focus was mainly on a highway named The Coquihalla Highway. The roads were layered with black ice and snow. There were some very serious accidents because of the Black Ice. There was even a fatal crash.
Black Ice, what exactly is it and is it as deadly as they say? Does spreading salt on it help at all?

When I was 17 years old I had driven to Baton Rouge to visit my sister. It was just after Christmas and it was like 22*. Before I left from her house at about 1 AM my 69 F-100 drivers side door was frozen shut. After pouring water over it and into the seams it finally opened. My sister suggested I stay the night due to the roads being frozen, maybe.
As I was driving down a busy road (normally) the light began to turn red. When I applied the brakes my truck started sliding and spinning in circles. Luckily, there were no other vehicles on the road. When I finally stopped, I was facing in the direction I was driving from. Do you think it was black ice that I drove over?

There ya go.

Any thin and translucent layer of ice that is nearly invisible is considered black ice, whether it's a patch on a road, on a lake, on rocks or on the hull or superstructure of a ship. Note that roads are black only if freshly paved with asphalt. They turn an increasingly lighter shade of grey with age. Black ice forms mostly just around the point of water freezing, often from ground fog. I believe that's why most vehicle's low temperature alert gets triggered a few degrees above freezing. I have encountered rain grooves that were filled with black ice. Resist braking or maneuvering and ride it out.

Lol like its no big deal! Wonder if that bus was AWD?
That was just a case of ice and snow covered roads and going uphill. With that bus, a) he had pretty darn good tires and b) he kept momentum. Going DOWN that curved hill would be much more challenging !

One thing I didn't see mentioned in skimming the thread, is don't use cruise control when ice is a possibility. Hitting ice with the cruise control engaged will get your attention, then it's a just a question of whether you can regain control before crashing.
You're not supposed to use c/c on wet roads either.

Black ice looks like this.

So.. I'll be driving home on a donut on black ice. Cool.

This is the black ice in front of my car before I moved it.

16082610715258003496770159115909.jpg
My door was frozen shut again too.
16082611123838566020097271274519.jpg

One thing I didn't see mentioned in skimming the thread, is don't use cruise control when ice is a possibility. Hitting ice with the cruise control engaged will get your attention, then it's a just a question of whether you can regain control before crashing.
I'm sure that's true for older cars without traction control and stability control. New cars can switch that cruise off faster than you realise you need to lift your foot off the gas. Not so sure it's still a bad thing to do. Try hitting a puddle at speed and see what happens if that one tyre starts aquaplaning with CC on...

I'm sure that's true for older cars without traction control and stability control. New cars can switch that cruise off faster than you realise you need to lift your foot off the gas. Not so sure it's still a bad thing to do. Try hitting a puddle at speed and see what happens if that one tyre starts aquaplaning with CC on...
My 370Z did that in dry weather on the highway once the road was so rough when it lost traction (doing the speed limit). Louisiana is such a trash state, lol!

yes, but I bet you would have just soldiered on if you were doing it manually... until you spun out of control. Not likely on a dry road but just proves the point even further: CC knows more than we do

Black ice looks like this.

So.. I'll be driving home on a donut on black ice. Cool.

This is the black ice in front of my car before I moved it.
See the slushy stuff next to your tire ? Odds are that's what most roads will look like or will be in even better condition. The heat, friction, etc from traffic frequently get rid of it so I wouldn't presume your roads will be ice rinks.

Black ice is so bad Ive seen some vehicles simply refuse to even move from a dead stop , or even slide backwards on seemingly 1 degree slopes.

Riding with a friend we hit a patch and there was NOTHING he could do - he described as what it must have felt like the first time docking with soyuz.

Watch what happens here.

Not everyone is driving a newer car with all the driving aids. Of course I wouldn't use C/C in rain where standing water is a possibility either. I just didn't mention it as the subject of the thread was ice.

Not everyone is driving a newer car with all the driving aids. Of course I wouldn't use C/C in rain where standing water is a possibility either. I just didn't mention it as the subject of the thread was ice.
exactly, but those who are driving a newer car could actually be better off with CC than with foot on the gas if slippery. Mind you, there's often a minimum speed to activate CC and that could be too high for use in slippery conditions...

but those who are driving a newer car could actually be better off with CC than with foot on the gas if slippery
Honda has plenty of driving aids on their modern vehicles and in a box labeled "Warning", they say (bold and italics added by me):

Use the cruise control only when traveling on open highways in good weather.

had a look in my own owners manual. Things are worded differently here. translation by me.

Cruise control

This is an electronic aid which (above 30 kph) on long, straight and dry trajectories and with little change in driving conditions (for example highways) keeps driving with a constant and predetermined speed without the need to use the throttle. The system offers no advantages in busy traffic. Don't use this system in town.

after that it goes on about turning on and off and setting the speed etc..

last paragraph:

The system automatically turns off:
  • when the abs or vdc is activated;
  • when the speed of the vehicle goes below a limit (note from me, it can turn off if you quickly go from downhil to steep uphill);
  • when there's a malfunction in the system.

I've had the system turn off when I hit standing water at 75 mph... Obviously the car was aquaplaning enough to activate vdc but I never noticed. If I was running manually I would have noticed when the RPM shot up, so a half second or more later...

Back