BITOG Traffic is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know BITOG has over 26K registered members, but I have never really seen more than 100-200 on at a time (anonymous included) and I'm astonished at the traffic that goes through this site in a day.

I wonder what kind of horsepower a server that's running BITOG has to have in order to handle such a load of information and browsing.
shocked2.gif

Imagine the heat that server generates?

A picture would be nice too... Anyone been to see where it is?

Wow I've been gone for a bit...

Stevie C you are running Amsoil? Thought you were running PP. Ah well it's late at night and I cain't sleep. Lots of stress at work with a union dilemma. Ah...I get so worked up and now I'm wondering what will happen one day when all the lights go out for good. Will an alien race find our servers dead for millenia and be able to restart them and make sense of all the jibber jabber. Will they carry our servers to their home planet and stuff them in the basement of some Alien Smithsonian! Will some alien reading this laugh his whatever he or she has off when they decode this particular post.

I wish sometimes I could quiet my mind a bit...too many dilemmas...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I know BITOG has over 26K registered members, but I have never really seen more than 100-200 on at a time (anonymous included) and I'm astonished at the traffic that goes through this site in a day.

I wonder what kind of horsepower a server that's running BITOG has to have in order to handle such a load of information and browsing.
shocked2.gif

A picture would be nice too... Anyone been to see where it is?

IIRC, the servers sit in a data center somewhere in New Zealand. wwilson probably knows the specs. At the end of last year they had to do a RAM upgrade on them to keep up with the increasing BITOG traffic.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Wow I've been gone for a bit...

Stevie C you are running Amsoil? Thought you were running PP. Ah well it's late at night and I cain't sleep. Lots of stress at work with a union dilemma. Ah...I get so worked up and now I'm wondering what will happen one day when all the lights go out for good. Will an alien race find our servers dead for millenia and be able to restart them and make sense of all the jibber jabber. Will they carry our servers to their home planet and stuff them in the basement of some Alien Smithsonian! Will some alien reading this laugh his whatever he or she has off when they decode this particular post.

I wish sometimes I could quiet my mind a bit...too many dilemmas...

That was just temporary because I was doing an ARX clean/rinse cycle on my engine and because I found a good sale and cleaned out all the PP I could.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
IIRC, the servers sit in a data center somewhere in New Zealand. wwilson probably knows the specs. At the end of last year they had to do a RAM upgrade on them to keep up with the increasing BITOG traffic.

I remember that, it was posted somewhere on the board that they had to do the ram upgrade to keep up with all the traffic. Also they removed the "Shout-Box" at the same time.
frown.gif

To make sure we have the speed the posters need we have had to make some changes. Our server is out of Phoenix now because we needed a dedicated server. We have over 10,000 unique visitors per day and we are growing each day. Thank you for keeping BITOG a place where people can come for information and friendship with people that are interested in maintaining their vehicles.

Helen

Originally Posted By: hr1940

To make sure we have the speed the posters need we have had to make some changes. Our server is out of Phoenix now because we needed a dedicated server. We have over 10,000 unique visitors per day and we are growing each day. Thank you for keeping BITOG a place where people can come for information and friendship with people that are interested in maintaining their vehicles.

Helen
thumbsup2.gif
Thank you for keeping it running for us. 10K unique visits a day is mind boggling!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
shocked2.gif

It's OK, Helen spoons some Amsoil into the server every morning to keep it running cool. Can't have deposits plugging up the forums!

Must be like me...hungry for info.

When you goal is to learn, save money and do it yourself, this is a good place to start.
cheers3.gif

Quote:
There have been 2,097,014 topics created and 26,948,209 replies. ( 29045223 Total Posts )
4,286,071 are active posts and 24,843,098 posts are in the archives.

The Most Users Online Was 28,890 On 3/28/2008 1:09:02 PM PDT.
We have 210,885 registered members, 158,556 are active accounts.

From a certain gun board which is the largest and most active board I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back