BITOG OCD or All Good?

So was changing VTM-4 fluid on rear differential of the pilot, but used the same hand pump which was used to change front transfer case(gear oil).

Although I cleaned it up really well and tried to minimize a mix up, but some very small quantity of gear oil was still there in the lines - should I be concerned or nothing to worry?

Sorry for maybe a noob or an OCD sort question, thank you :)

Nothing to worry about. Same thing happens to me when I use those hand pumps. Nothing has blown up yet in the 20 years I've been doing it.

Haha I beyond OCD! I had separate hand pumps for GL4 and GL5. Separate turkey basters for brake fluid and power steering fluid. Oh,and separate funnels for all too!! :D

We joke about OCD here, and some of us do take things to ridiculous lengths, but real OCD makes life pretty miserable for many of those who suffer from it. Real OCD sufferers might wash their hands every 5 minutes or have to get out of bed every half hour all night long to check to see if the door is locked.

You have to be a tad more than just OCD to even belong on Bitog. How may people even think or care about engine oils and fluids, you have to be some sort of a nut case. Guilty as charged. LOL
Haha amen brother!:D

I've heard of VTM-4 being rather sensitive to cross-contamination. Some guys on the Pilot forums reused their gear oil pump like OP and ended up with strange noises from the rear diff. I have a pump I only use for VTM-4. If OP doesn't hear any funny noises, he's probably good, though.

I've heard of VTM-4 being rather sensitive to cross-contamination. Some guys on the Pilot forums reused their gear oil pumps like OP and ended up with strange noises from the rear diff. I have a pump I only use for VTM-4. If OP doesn't hear any funny noises, he's probably good, though.
So basically both, OCD & All Good! :cool:

Reactions: 4WD
We joke about OCD here, and some of us do take things to ridiculous lengths, but real OCD makes life pretty miserable for many of those who suffer from it. Real OCD sufferers might wash their hands every 5 minutes or have to get out of bed every half hour all night long to check to see if the door is locked.

I'm going to make a WAG that more people here actually have OCPD vs. OCD. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder overlaps OCD, but is quite different. Google OCPD vs. OCD to learn for yourselves.

Here's a few websites defining the differences:

"An individual with OCD has frequent, upsetting thoughts (obsessions) that they try to control by repeating particular behaviors (compulsions). The obsessions spark a great deal of anxiety because they are not only intrusive and unwanted but also recurrent, Dr. Rego says. “People with OCD will do anything to combat or escape the obsessions and therefore they resort to extensive compulsions and avoidance,” he explains. Those with OCD are aware that their obsessions are unreasonable, and they can feel tortured by both the obsessions and compulsive behavior."

"Individuals with OCPD tend to think their way of doing things is the “right and best way,” and they are fixated with following set procedures or routines in their work or daily living, even when these routines are inefficient. These individuals tend to be overly controlling of their environments or relationships, wanting others to conform to the strict rules they set. This personality disorder includes maladaptive traits and behaviors, including perfectionism that interferes with completing tasks, rigid following of moral or ethical codes, hoarding behaviors, and an excessive fixation with lists and rules. A person with OCPD has an overwhelming need for order, a strong sense of “how things should be done,” and a rigidity when it comes to following rules."

In the spirit of OCPD, you are all wrong (except me) is using the term OCD so much. Similar, but different, than how we confuse transmission fluid flush with transmission fluid exchange, LOL. ;)

Last edited:
I would drop the ching ching and buy a new pump,
I put the pumps and funnels I use in a large zip lock bag and write down what I used it for.

the rear in a honda has clutch plates, which is looking for a fluid with certain friction properties. A slight contamination will not matter probably but hey I am OCD ;-)

Back