BITOG members who are employed in automotive/oil industry

I'm wondering as to the number of BITOG members who are directly employed in the automotive/oil and related businesses, including service, parts, tools, production, sales and such.
Don't know if this has been discussed before, bit I'm thinking the number of members in this realm is substantial.

Prior to my current position, I was employed as a lube R&D/formulator and now work as an engineer at a facility that manufactures battery acid, antifreeze/coolant, and DEF, among other things.

Previously I was in the quick lube industry. Wasn't there very long due to massive conflicts between myself and ownership. Honest maintenance and repair recommendations vs. unnecessary up-sells. It's a shame as I loved helping people.

I've mostly been in dealership either as a tech or service writer since 02. I tried a few stints away from the dealership life and the reduced stress and hours were nice but they usually lured me back in with more money.

Yep auto mechanic and a little bit of everything mechanic. Love it wouldn’t trade it for the world. It can get frustrating at times but sometimes you just have to take a break for a little bit. Except don’t always get treated the best by people but my current boss is great independent is way better than dealership because of the staff.

Was a technician in a dealership until 3 weeks ago, switched to a better paid job as a driver now. That's to say, been doing on the job training this week and will have at least 2 more weeks until I get to drive.

Was a technician in a dealership until 3 weeks ago, switched to a better paid job as a driver now. That's to say, been doing on the job training this week and will have at least 2 more weeks until I get to drive.

So are you getting a CDL?

there are of course others that actually involved in lubricant formulation + pretty much KNOW whats in most blends if given enough info + of course could prolly answer every question if they had the time + it did not CLASH with their job!! i truely appreciate the pros like Mola that set the records straight when they can + realize they can NOT answer questions that could cost them their job or even be prosecuted!!! many trades have set rules + even if wrong medical people MUST follow accepted guidelines + NOT cure something but hook the patient $$$ for a lifetime just treating symptoms, SAD but TRUE!!!

I was a formulating Chemist, then became a quality engineer 35 years ago and somewhere 21+ years back became a knowledgeable Amsoil Dealer, now Master Jobber. The last 15+ years I worked in a rocket factory. I am now retired and run my motorized bike part business and Amsoil dealership and soon can harass my wife as she has like 3 hours until officially retired. :ROFLMAO: (y)

Last edited:
I did my graduate work in the area of synthetic fuels/lubricants for my Ph.D. in Chemistry. Not so much for automotive, but more for heavy industrial type fuels. Using various analysis techniques, I characterized the heavy molecular weight (over 400 grams/mole) material that was left over from coal liquefaction (turning coal into liquid hydrocarbons) runs. This was the solid, coal-like material left in the bottom of the reactor after a run, and it had to be pulverized to be removed. Also the material I looked at was full of nitrogen containing compounds that were not good for either the solid to liquid process nor the final products.

I used to work in the oil industry. 28 years of handling gasoline, diesel fuel, Kerosene and Jet Fuel. Started out loading gasoline tankers and ended up as a Terminal manager. Spent a great deal of my time fixing meters, valves, piping, storage tanks, pumps, loading arm assemblies, etc.
I've waded in tanks with diesel fuel deeper than my ankles with just rubber boots on for PPE.
Without men like us, and I mean ALL of us above, that skinny pedal won't do anything.

Not currently, but recently retired (30+ years) silicone manufacturing, which we were a tier or two up the supply chain...silicone rubber for gasketing, lubricants ( greases, gear oil additives, etc.), silicone caulks and adhesives, supplied silicone fluids to Amorall and Nu Finish wax, silicone brake fluid (mainly for the military), silanes for tire manufacturers for improved rolling resistance, Molykote products, probably others.

I have been in GM and Kia parts sales for seven years now at the same dealer. I have also sold Hyundai and Mitsubishi parts for the same dealer group.

Prior to that, I worked at Advance Auto Parts, and a couple quick lube/small chain shops.

I busted tires on the weekends for a few months then snapped my ankle trying to squeeze between two lift posts.

It was cool but it's a different world working on a stranger's car doing a $16.99 oil change and trying to find enough sloppy ball joints and dirty air filters to upsell additional work.

It was very interesting to see what cars came into a chain discount tire shop. Plenty of cobalts and corollas-- appliance cars-- but also brand new (leased?) Nissan Armadas.

Back