BITOG is full of snobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have learned the hard way over the years to NOT trust parts store people. I have been in the repair business a long time.

Do your homework first, bring old parts to match up, and don't pay too much attention to the sales recommendations.

Not three hours ago, I had a parts counter guy at a major chain try to tell me that a tube-and-fin trans cooler was superior to a plate-and-fin cooler! Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

(Not coincidentally, the tube cooler was in stock, the plate cooler was not!)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Not three hours ago, I had a parts counter guy at a major chain try to tell me that a tube-and-fin trans cooler was superior to a plate-and-fin cooler! Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

(Not coincidentally, the tube cooler was in stock, the plate cooler was not!)

Yikes!

First Autozoner today:
"You shouldn't use Motorcraft plugs. Your engine wasn't designed for Motorcraft plugs"
"It's a Ford Duratec. It originally came with Motorcraft plugs."
"You put a Duratec in a Mazda?"
33.gif

Unfortunately, I was driving the Turbo Clown Hearse so I couldn't go pop the hood and show him all the Ford ovals. Also, they only had 4 plugs in stock.

Second Autozoner today forced the upsell the antiseize and di-electric grease. He also gave me a funny look when I asked for Motorcrafts for a Mazda but didn't hesitate in getting them for me. But he was relentless on the upsell.
"You should really get the antiseize."
"No thanks. I have plenty. A little goes a long way."
"But you should really use it on a Japanese car with and aluminum head. Let me get you some."
"No thanks. That's not necessary."

After pulling out the NGK G-Power platinums, I do have a bit of buyer's remorse. They were better than I expected. But that's a different story.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
First Autozoner today:
"You shouldn't use Motorcraft plugs. Your engine wasn't designed for Motorcraft plugs"
"It's a Ford Duratec. It originally came with Motorcraft plugs."
"You put a Duratec in a Mazda?"
33.gif

Unfortunately, I was driving the Turbo Clown Hearse so I couldn't go pop the hood and show him all the Ford ovals. Also, they only had 4 plugs in stock.

crackmeup2.gif

Loved what you called the PT too....

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: Trav
To be honest i have met some that didn't know a lot but that's okay i will help them find me the right part, at least the guy is working for a living and i respect him for that.

Could not agree more.

+1

Originally Posted By: skate1968

On the honda forums, a kid posted a technical writeup with a video -- “GUARANTEED way to increase your horsepower in 10 minutes!”

Well the kid WAS spreading misinformation on a technical forum. And those that were tearing in to the kid DID know their stuff.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1502112&page=5

[i truly do value this forum very much also, and i don't mean to imply otherwise]

From Honda-tech:
froway.gif

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

You should hear the expert advice on a gun forum. If a really knowledgeable person corrects any misinformation, they will get jumped on by a pack of rabid mall ninja wannabes.

Example: A guy posts a picture of a target with a tight group shot at 10 yards with a 40 caliber handgun. He compares it to a target with a loose group shot at 25 yards with a 9mm. He claims the 2 targets are proof that a 40 is more accurate than a 9mm. I post that they both need to be shot at the same distance to compare accuracy. Ten wannabe Mall Ninjas(R) jump in and trash me.

Last edited:
Hi fdcg27,

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
As long as the parts guy isn't making crazy recommendations that might cause harm, like using 20W-50 in a late model Honda, no harm is done.

Well said.

I was going to mention that 20w-50 could get more years out of a very old and tired honda that is on it's last legs.

But on a "late model" -- no. There really shouldn't be a reason to use it on a newer honda.

icon_salut.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Hahhhhh.....I do have a point....and maybe you picked up on it. It's the usual. BUYER BEWARE. Oh yeah and never actually be surprised by what you hear from someone separated from the source by more than one degree.

What is funny is when the buyer knows more about the product than the inventor or the manufacturer. It has happened. Something as simple as; "Will your plastic ammo box #xyz123 work with 50x super magnum howitzer shells?" and the manufacturer says "NO," but you get back with them a month later and tell them you tried it out and it fits perfect.

I have also had this happen with other items in my job. I call and ask, they say no it won't work, I try it anyways and it works. I call them back and they are shocked.

Hey Loobed,

Glad that you got a laugh from that thread. I've read it several times and gotten many a laugh out of it.

I admin/mod a forum myself and have often wished could mod like that guy did. I just sent that mod a "thank you" for keeping the thread open.

I'm not afraid of receiving bad advice from that forum.

smile.gif

regards

Hey Loobed,

Glad that you got a laugh from that thread. I've read it several times and gotten many a laugh out of it.

I admin/mod a forum myself and have often wished could mod like that guy did. I just sent that mod a "thank you" for keeping the thread open.

I'm not afraid of receiving bad advice from that forum.

smile.gif

regards

So skate...which site forum do you moderate?

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
So skate...which site forum do you moderate?

That's actually inaccurate. I had moderator privileges from 12/2006 through sometime around 11/2011 -- from 12/2006 up until i resigned. I help out when needed but no longer am "in charge," so to speak.

http://emigrant.ie/boards/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

[and if that link gives you an error message then accept my apologies -- there's a lot going on there at the moment. It's also a UBB software forum. And we've also had help from sirdude.com -- great guy, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back