BITOG GTG Afterparty

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is very preliminary, but dparm and I have been discussing an event after the meeting. Perhaps a dinner and social event at a local restaurant or something like this. I originally thought that a swimming and barbecue event downtown at Oak St. Beach would be fun, but that is just going to be too complex to make happen.

So details are to follow, but what would be helpful is a headcount, so if you are planning on attending, please sign in to this thread with a headcount (if your SO is coming).

Thanks!

Add me for one as well
smile.gif

Naperville is one of the largest suburbs and has a very active downtown area (just down the street from the meet-up). There are numerous restaurants and bars.

Anyone have any preferences on venue, food, atmosphere, etc? There's quite literally something for everyone but I have no clue if people want loud and busy, quiet and peaceful, outdoors, indoors, etc.

This place is not too far from Naperville. Great pub food and local beer. Looks like they can take groups if we want to get serious about this.

http://www.twobrothersroundhouse.com/

Otherwise there are plenty of other local establishments (bars) but we'd be taking our chances. I have several outstanding places in downtown Chicago if people are serious about getting out to see the town.

Originally Posted By: dparm
This place is not too far from Naperville. Great pub food and local beer. Looks like they can take groups if we want to get serious about this.

http://www.twobrothersroundhouse.com/

Otherwise there are plenty of other local establishments (bars) but we'd be taking our chances. I have several outstanding places in downtown Chicago if people are serious about getting out to see the town.

Looks great to me, pub food and local beer are hard to beat... but I'm not picky. It sounds like you're volunteering for the job of afterparty host, dparm?
grin.gif

Wrigleyville is a great place, and I love goose island. Id go for that. Is there a convenient train in (Metra or a blue line L or something)? to get in from there?

The BNSF line will get you from Naperville into downtown Chicago (Union Station). I think it takes a little over an hour. From there, you'd take the L train or bus to get to Wrigleyville.

All in all, figure about 2 hours total door to door each way.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The BNSF line will get you from Naperville into downtown Chicago (Union Station). I think it takes a little over an hour. From there, you'd take the L train or bus to get to Wrigleyville.

Yes, BNSF takes about 70 minutes because it is not express and makes tons of stops. Plus as the night goes on they run less and less frequently, and it will inevitably take you time to get back to the station.

Frankly I'd rather drive; carpooling is always a possibility.

Agreed. It'll most likely be quicker and more convenient, even if you hit a little bit of traffic here and there. Just need DD(s).

Alternatively, there are cab services that'll take you from Naperville to downtown for about $20-25 a person.

Yep, I'm sure that between all the local folks and people who rented cars, we can get a decent number of people downtown. I know of some limo/taxi services that could get everyone downtown too.

We need to make a decision and try to establish a headcount so I can call these places.

I'd be content hanging out in the suburbs, I'm staying at the Naperville Marriott and it would be convenient. But if the group decides to go into the city, I'll tag along.

I love downtown, but staying close works. The roundhouse listed earlier would work. So long as I get a few pints of goose island honkers ale, I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yes, BNSF takes about 70 minutes because it is not express and makes tons of stops. Plus as the night goes on they run less and less frequently, and it will inevitably take you time to get back to the station.

And they're doing track construction. My in-box is constantly full of "Metra-grams" informing about delays and weekends seem to be very hit-or-miss, more miss than hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back