BITOG going IPv6?

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Was clicking through threads when I saw a green 6 on the IPvFoo browser extension and had to do a double take that BITOG finally transitioned to an IPv6 address.
However, it was not consistent and kept wanting to roll back to the IPv4 address.

All IPv6 address. (y)
Screenshot 2022-12-26 201455.png

But sometimes it rolls back to IPv4 or does not load up the IPv6 address at all.(n)
Screenshot 2022-12-26 201658.png

Nice to see more of my favorite sites pushing IPv6.

Yes, we enabled IPv6 as there are more and more devices that are IPv6 only. IPv4 will still be preferred, so you may see it roll back to IPv4. If you have any troubles with IPv6, please let us know.

Last edited:
Yes, we enabled IPv6 as there are more an more devices that are IPv6 only. IPv4 will still be preferred, so you may see it roll back to IPv4. If you have any troubles with IPv6, please let us know.
The IPv6 transition has been SO LONG, blows my mind how long we've been "at this". The Cisco Meraki firewalls recently added IPv6 WAN support, there are others that still don't have it. Gotta be the slowest moving train in the history of IT.

Professors is 2006: “Don’t even bother learning about IPv4. They are all out of addresses. IPv6 is all you have to learn about.”
Network engineers: “Screw that. Time for NAT.”

I remember learning about that in both high school and college. They were all convinced we would be out of addresses by now. Then slowly they realized that not everything needs to be connected directly to the Internet. It also didn't help that every big organization grabbed as many addresses as possible. My small college had a whole class B!

I remember learning about that in both high school and college. They were all convinced we would be out of addresses by now. Then slowly they realized that not everything needs to be connected directly to the Internet. It also didn't help that every big organization grabbed as many addresses as possible. My small college had a whole class B!
Yup, so did the Uni I was at, every freakin' student and prof; every bloody computer on campus had a public IP address.

What's the benefit of switching to IPV6? Don't you get your own IP with the domain name anyway?

What's the benefit of switching to IPV6?
We didn't switch to IPv6, we added the ability to use IPv6. The ability to use IPv4 remains the same. There are areas of the world where many devices can only get IPv6 addresses, as the supply of IPv4 addresses has been exhausted.

Number of IPv4 addresses in the 32 bit address space - 2³² 4.3 x 10⁹ (4.3 Billion)
Number of IPv6 addresses in the 128 bit address space - 2¹²⁸ 3.4 x 10³⁸ (340 trillion trillion trillion)
There are so many IPv6 addresses that we commonly assign a /64 (18,446,744,073,709,551,616) addresses to a router interface where we only need 2 addresses. When I first started working with IPv6, I thought this "waste" of IP addresses was stupid. When you start to consider how many addresses there are, you will get your head around the idea that, yes this is waste, but it doesn't matter. It truly doesn't matter. There is no possible scenario where we could run out of IPv6 addresses.
Don't you get your own IP with the domain name anyway?
No, it doesn't work that way. The assigning of IP addresses and domain names is completely independent. We aren't concerned with the BITOG server IP address, we are concerned with the far endpoints being able to connect to the BITOG server. If a far end device only has an IPv6 address, then if BITOG only has an IPv4 address, that end device can't connect.

Last edited:
We didn't switch to IPv6, we added the ability to use IPv6. The ability to use IPv4 remains the same. There are areas of the world where many devices can only get IPv6 addresses, as the supply of IPv4 addresses has been exhausted.

Number of IPv4 addresses in the 32 bit address space - 2³² 4.3 x 10⁹ (4.3 Billion)
Number of IPv6 addresses in the 128 bit address space - 2¹²⁸ 3.4 x 10³⁸ (340 trillion trillion trillion)
There are so many IPv6 addresses that we commonly assign a /64 (18,446,744,073,709,551,616) addresses to a router interface where we only need 2 addresses. When I first started working with IPv6, I thought this "waste" of IP addresses was stupid. When you start to consider how many addresses there are, you will get your head around the idea that, yes this is waste, but it doesn't matter. It truly doesn't matter. There is no possible scenario where we could run out of IPv6 addresses.

No, it doesn't work that way. The assigning of IP addresses and domain names is completely independent. We aren't concerned with the BITOG server IP address, we are concerned with the far endpoints being able to connect to the BITOG server. If a far end device only has an IPv6 address, then if BITOG only has an IPv4 address, that end device can't connect.
Thank you for clarifying how IPv6 works, this is next level website management. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back