BITOG Donation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
It’s a new year, and I thought I’d try to encourage others to be site donors.

One way to look at it is, how much time do you spend here? Do you enjoy the content on BITOG? Many of us will pay $10-$15 a month for a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu, and IMO BITOG is a lot more entertaining. What about $5 Starbucks coffees, are one of those as entertaining as a month here? I’m sure this site costs a pretty penny to operate, especially with the transition to the modern Xenforo interface. BITOG over the years has remained very light on ads, with the exception of yesterday when they started appearing at the bottom of the screen, so it’s a very clean and clutter free experience.

Anybody else want to help contribute to this great site? The Donate button is at the bottom of the site and if you don’t want to do a bigger lump sum, you can also make it reoccurring monthly i.e. $5.

If you can’t or don’t want to contribute, that’s fine, please move along to another post. My intent isn’t to create an argumentative post.

I’d also like to thank our mods for keeping the site updated and working well. Happy New Year all!

Last edited:
I actually tried last evening and got error messages. Got to try again. BITOG is my only interactive contact with other sentient beings (other than my roomy of 40 years) in the current situation. I've learned a bunch, there are some extremely knowledgeable members. Appreciate the effort to keep it going and the mob that hangs out here. Happy to help keep the lights on. ;)

I will donate my Subaru to either BITOG, or a BITOGer.

I was going to make a new and separate thread with the details.

Does that count?

Sorry but I can't find the answer - if I donate, will the ads go away? Writing all these negative reviews is tiresome.

@Nick1994: There are a lot of people on here who might think that only large donations are accepted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible for people to set up a recurring donation of only a quarter/month or something like that? Aside from those of us who donate more (I'm only at a dollar, but others, like yourself, are at $50/year), wouldn't a quarter/month/active member really help things out? EDIT: I"m talking about people who would never or can't afford to donate more.

This isn't my best year; (I've only pulled in maybe a third of my usual pay), but if you say that a buck a month isn't doing much I'm sure I can scrounge another buck or two/month to help things out.

Sorry but I can't find the answer - if I donate, will the ads go away? Writing all these negative reviews is tiresome.

The ads will stay. As mentioned in the other thread, you need an ad-blocker. I would NOT recommend you block any ads unless you plan to donate. It's a fair compromise, IMO.

If money wasn’t an issue I would donate. I do appreciate all of the knowledge and help I always get on this forum and appreciate all the great members who will teach a young guy who loves learning different things. I might be able to donate a few dollars when I am able. If it isn’t too late during the year or might wait till next year.

@Nick1994: There are a lot of people on here who might think that only large donations are accepted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible for people to set up a recurring donation of only a quarter/month or something like that? Aside from those of us who donate more (I'm only at a dollar, but others, like yourself, are at $50/year), wouldn't a quarter/month/active member really help things out? EDIT: I"m talking about people who would never or can't afford to donate more.

This isn't my best year; (I've only pulled in maybe a third of my usual pay), but if you say that a buck a month isn't doing much I'm sure I can scrounge another buck or two/month to help things out.

The ads will stay. As mentioned in the other thread, you need an ad-blocker. I would NOT recommend you block any ads unless you plan to donate. It's a fair compromise, IMO.
Yup, that’s why I mentioned it can be reoccurring monthly.

So if someone wanted to donate $50 a year, but doesn’t want to do it with that lump sum, it’s as simple as can be to make it $4-$5 a month.

Yup, that’s why I mentioned it can be reoccurring monthly.

So if someone wanted to donate $50 a year, but doesn’t want to do it with that lump sum, it’s as simple as can be to make it $4-$5 a month.

You didn't answer most of my question:

How little can people actually donate? Are there hidden fees that make some value or less infeasible?

Would most of donating a buck or two a month do it? How hard up are you guys?

You didn't answer most of my question:

How little can people actually donate? Are there hidden fees that make some value or less infeasible?

Would most of donating a buck or two a month do it? How hard up are you guys?

I actually agree with this sentiment.

While I wholly give my thanks and time, I would have no problem putting my money where my mouth is.

And I have a big mouth.

You don't have to, but care to elaborate? Had a lot of buyer disputes?

Never, no no no.

I actually did have a Seller/Business account at one point. But nothing like that.

PayPal puts WEEKS holds on things, their interface is super confusing, asks for identity verification at the oddest times.. probably due to the interaction with the banks but.. the service has simply not been smooth for me.

So happy they separated from EBay..

Never, no no no.

I actually did have a Seller/Business account at one point. But nothing like that.

PayPal puts WEEKS holds on things, their interface is super confusing, asks for identity verification at the oddest times.. probably due to the interaction with the banks but.. the service has simply not been smooth for me.

So happy they separated from EBay..

Weird, I've NEVER experienced anything like you mention. I usually only make a few dozen transaction/year, but I've never had an issue buying.

I use PayPal WAY less often to receive payments, but haven't had any problem getting small amounts (usually less than $100) transferred pretty quickly.

Maybe you were dealing with large sums, but for most of us who use it as an added layer of protection over our CC's it has worked well for everyday purchases.

I don't have anything good nor bad to say about Ebay. I've always felt it to be one level above Craigslist on the sketchiness scale, but I don't have anything to back that up but one bad experience where I eventually got my money back....thanks to Paypal, actually.

/

Using it start and cancel a recurring payment to a place like BITOG? I think PayPal is ideal. If I want to stop, I simply go to Paypal and cancel the recurring payment. Idiot-proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back