Bio-SynXtra™ HD Plus SHP Motor Oil - oil seal issues?

Looking to see if anyone using these brands of oil are having issues with oil seal failures. we run 4 of these oils for our fleet and have started to notice some issues. I have found a lot of information stating that additives are not recommended for these oils as they do not have the capability to bond with the oil. I have listed the oils wed run below. Having a hard time finding any info on seal swelling and want to make sure we have all the info before going to another brand of oil. Fleet vehicles. Some range in the amount of driving so mileage varies a lot between vehicles. Cold temps sometimes as we are in Ontario. I appreciate all the info.

SAE 15W40 (Low Ash)
SAE 0W20 PCMO
SAE 5W20 PCMO
SAE 5W30 PCMO

If you are having seal failures, then definitely switch to another brand.

Do you have thorough UOA data to see if the failure is caused by other issues? tan/tbn/fuel/moisture/nitration/oxidation/filtration?

Without some data, it a guess. And sometimes, a guess is better than continuing with a potential incompatibility.

If the seal failure continues with other oils, you can always go back to RLI, and track down another cause.

If you are having seal failures, then definitely switch to another brand.

Do you have thorough UOA data to see if the failure is caused by other issues? tan/tbn/fuel/moisture/nitration/oxidation/filtration?

Without some data, it a guess. And sometimes, a guess is better than continuing with a potential incompatibility.

If the seal failure continues with other oils, you can always go back to RLI, and track down another cause.
Thanks! Have not run UOA yet. wanted to check first before going through that in case it's common.

I'm not aware of any issues with the Biosyn line and seals, but you never know.

Looking to see if anyone using these brands of oil are having issues with oil seal failures. we run 4 of these oils for our fleet and have started to notice some issues. I have found a lot of information stating that additives are not recommended for these oils as they do not have the capability to bond with the oil. I have listed the oils wed run below. Having a hard time finding any info on seal swelling and want to make sure we have all the info before going to another brand of oil. Fleet vehicles. Some range in the amount of driving so mileage varies a lot between vehicles. Cold temps sometimes as we are in Ontario. I appreciate all the info.

SAE 15W40 (Low Ash)
SAE 0W20 PCMO
SAE 5W20 PCMO
SAE 5W30 PCMO
Additives bonding with the oil? Can you explain what that means and how it would affect the seal compatibility?

All oils with an API license or any manufacturer approval have elastomer compatibility requirements which is generally determined through ASTM D7216. Are these oils API licensed?

because the company is going to give you a skewed answer, I want real info from people using the product that.
The company would give you a proper answer and or solution, why use their products if you do not believe them?

The company would give you a proper answer and or solution, why use their products if you do not believe them?
Yes this. What else are they skewing? I don't know why people mess around with products like this when they are responsible for a fleet that they likely do not own.

because the company is going to give you a skewed answer, I want real info from people using the product that.

If you are the manager of this fleet then it’s your duty to contact the company to try and get answers. In this case it’s RLI.

If you are the manager of this fleet then it’s your duty to contact the company to try and get answers. In this case it’s RLI.
I know a certain company that’s more than forthcoming with any and all non-proprietary data, and that I’m willing to bet is a longer-lasting and better protecting product anyways… 😉

Back