Bio-Diesel Production at Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a strange vision yesterday of a diesel truck running the same fluid in the fuel tank as in the crankcase, with controlled circulation between the two compartments to keep the crankcase oil fresh.

If the engine could stand the low viscosity of biodiesel, you could use it for both lube and fuel, kind of like in a 2 stroke motor. Straight vegetable oil would probably work.

I finally moved my wifes car out of the garage so I would have room to set up my bio-diesel processor. She had to go to a meeting yesterday, so I quickly set up my two tables. They are 2 concrete blocks high and 1/2" plywood for the tops. (This is an economy project). So now it is a matter of accumulating the rest of the needed items. Her car is now in an open shed outside.

Did I mention supper was kind of cold and very late last night.
grin.gif

You will probably suffer from lackofnookie if she really likes her car sitting outside. YUK-YUK
Keep us up on your BD project. I am in about the same spot with mine.

WDP

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:

Without going back through volumes, I think the allowable amount is 500 gallons that is tax free

They can die and go to h3ll.
I would never pay a tax on home made bio diesel for my own personal use.
Does any one else see that as wrong?
twak.gif

I live in the hills of Arkansas. Kind of like running an old corn squeezin' still. Have to find me first. Now when I get the 20'of copper coils running to recover the methanol, I may draw some interest from the tax people. But that won't be this year for the methanol recovery.

smile.gif

When making Bio-diesel, you can recover most of the methanol. I understand about 70%, but I am really guessing on that number. I just plumb forgot the quoted amount.

smile.gif

So the reaction uses about half of the alcohol then you can recover about 2/3 or 3/4 of what's levt. That's not bad at all. Unless I can get a free source of methanol, yea right.

Initially I am not going to do a recovery of the methanol. I will wait until next year to build that portion of the bio-diesel process.

Groucho,
WVO is better from an environmental perspective, as the fuel has already been used once.

The fuel quality can suffer a little on filthy oil, and dirty oil uses more caustic and methanol.

Shannow is correct. And one other perspective, is that WVO is free. The only source for virgin oil is costly. So resturant hopping to collect oil is becoming part of life now.

smile.gif

GM, The high heat exposure of the WVO had experienced does not help or really hurt the process. The things in WVO that cause the problem are High FFA (Free Fatty Acids), water and of course unfiltered debris. But all these things are addressed during the processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back