Bio Diesel $1 a gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this part of Texas, we have lots of cotton seed, and a large plant pressing cottonseed oil. The plant is owned by - you guessed it - ADM!

Maybe ADM should get their stooge
shocked.gif
I mean their representative in congress to introduce incentives to use cottonseed or corn oil in biodiesel production. That would certainly kick start the process
patriot.gif

In the Hippie town (SF and Berkeley), you will need to pay a restaurant to get their used oil for bio diesel. All the hippies are already rounding up all the old MB and VW diesel car and running their own Biodiesel lab to remove the Glycerine and wash the oil for use.

You also won't find any cheap TDI here either due to demand.

Maybe better luck in San Jose?

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I agree..we don't have tha space to grow enough to make it worth while.
[/QB]

If you're talking about BD coming from Soybeans and Rapeseed, you are correct. BUT there are other plant oil sources that produce much more oil per acre. One excellent example is the Jatropha tree.

http://www.d1plc.com/energy/plantation.php

"It takes two to three years for jatropha trees to reach maturity and generate typical economic yields of 3.5kg (7.7 lbs) of seeds per tree. These seeds can then be crushed to produce crude jatropha oil (CJO) that can be refined into biodiesel. Once mature, jatropha has a productive lifespan in excess of thirty years.

D1 estimates that a 5,000 hectare (12,355 acres) plantation, set in waste or marginalized land, will support a minimum of 2,200 productive trees per hectare (2.47 acres). With each 5,000 hectare (12,355 acres) plantation on average supporting 10 million productive trees, and each tree yielding approximately 3.5kg (7.7 lbs) of seeds per annum, the total harvest will be 35,000 tonnes of seeds. Assuming an oil yield of 40%, when crushed this will produce about 14,000 tonnes of CJO. We estimate that each tonne of jatropha oil will produce 1,100 litres (291 gallons) of biodiesel. A mature plantation can produce 15 million litres (3,962,581 gallons) of biodiesel per year.

Each 5,000 hectare (12,355 acres) plantation should create a minimum of 2,500 new jobs."

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I agree..we don't have tha space to grow enough to make it worth while.
If you're talking about BD coming from Soybeans and Rapeseed, you are correct. BUT there are other plant oil sources that produce much more oil per acre. One excellent example is the Jatropha tree.

http://www.d1plc.com/energy/plantation.php

"It takes two to three years for jatropha trees to reach maturity and generate typical economic yields of 3.5kg (7.7 lbs) of seeds per tree. These seeds can then be crushed to produce crude jatropha oil (CJO) that can be refined into biodiesel. Once mature, jatropha has a productive lifespan in excess of thirty years.

D1 estimates that a 5,000 hectare (12,355 acres) plantation, set in waste or marginalized land, will support a minimum of 2,200 productive trees per hectare (2.47 acres). With each 5,000 hectare (12,355 acres) plantation on average supporting 10 million productive trees, and each tree yielding approximately 3.5kg (7.7 lbs) of seeds per annum, the total harvest will be 35,000 tonnes of seeds. Assuming an oil yield of 40%, when crushed this will produce about 14,000 tonnes of CJO. We estimate that each tonne of jatropha oil will produce 1,100 litres (291 gallons) of biodiesel. A mature plantation can produce 15 million litres (3,962,581 gallons) of biodiesel per year.

Each 5,000 hectare (12,355 acres) plantation should create a minimum of 2,500 new jobs." [/QB]

1 job per 4.9 acres and if 1 acre produces 321 gallons of oil that would equal about 1572 gallons total biodiesel on 4.9 acres. At $2.00 per gallon $3144.00 total value. Am I doing this right? How much would these jobs pay?

quote:

There you go. Plant these trees on Landfills and then harvest the seeds for BD or lubricating oils.

http://www.biodieseltoday.com/

http://www.ibw.com.ni/~biomasa/tempate.htm

http://www.farmwealthbiotech.com/jatropha_projects.htm

http://www.ecoworld.com/Home/Articles2.cfm?TID=356

[ July 26, 2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Out here, most of the landfills are elevated 150 to 300 feet above the surrounding land and flood plain, and with our mostly hot and dry weather, this plant might do well.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Sounds good! I was just trying to get a geographical fix on this tree's limits. Let's plant some in Okie and Tech's azz.

Nice thought Pablo, but doesn't it requires hot and -dry-, not hot and moist?

Nothing actually. Don't take it so personally.

Feel free to make something up about fruity WA state. Believe me, I'll bet my state is worse in many ways. I actually have no idea what they actually do with all our huge tax dollars, for example.

My only real gripe about Texas is I had to go to San Marcos on the hotest day EVER (in recorded history) there.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Don't mess with Texas.

You got that right!
wink.gif

You're looking at a 100% born and raised, true Native Texan. Very few of us left anymore. Seems like most "Texans" are transplants from either up north or from across the border.
frown.gif

Keep in mind that Texas fought for it's independence from Mexico. And we were our own independent nation ( The Republic of Texas) for 9 years before joining (forced to join) the United States.

We native Texans tend to take offence when someone makes fun of our name and/or our Texan heritage.
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back