Binoculars needsd

Hi, I'm looking for some binoculars. Would like to keep the price under 200 or so bucks. It's use will be for nature and when sightseeing. I think I've narrowed it down to two brands, Vortex versus Nikon. Anybody have any reviews of the brands with regard to customer service, warranty, overall build quality? Thank you

Nikon as they are a well known professional camera & lens manufacture. I have Nikon OceanPro binoculars without the compass and they are really good. But they are around $250.

Warranty? Nikon gives first class customer support and warranty if you buy from an authorized dealer and don't buy grey market goods.
The camera market, Nikon, Canon.. has been like that forever and I imagine the same goes for the optics market, too.

Also to note is some people can look through cheap binoculars and think there're great, while a snob like me would look through it and think it's
garbage.

Interesting video if you would like to fish on the ocean someday and don't know this trick:

I don't mean to offend, but a pair of binocs under $200 and I believe we are talking low end plastic lenses not quality glass. I am also an optics snob, but do have to admit the plastic lens quality can be surprisingly decent. Seems to me you are looking in the right area with Nikon and Vortex.

If ever there was a better example of the law of diminishing returns, I've never found it. Optics seem to be the pinnacle: a hair better optically can cost a small fortune.

I have Nikon Aculon A211 16x50 for about 3 years now; I like its design, decent viewing and light weight attributes; I tend to be gentle and careful about my belongings so warranty its not an issue for me; I got it from Amazon like 3years back i've paid roughly about $120 for it at the time; it came with a case, microfiber cloth and lens protector covers; I consider it as an entry level to Nikon but it gets my random viewing acts done

Check places like Adorama or B&H photo for sales. Look for dielectric coatings, low dispersion, and other features. Look at high end binoculars for features, then try to find similar in your price range. I got some Bushnell 8x42 higher end last year for $99 at Adorama that have all the best specs. They sold out fast. I can see no quality defects. The lenses are remarkably good. Ten power is much harder to hold. Even eight power is going to jitter. A small pair I really like is Pentax 6x21 Papilio. They focus very close. I was looking at some wood and all of a sudden saw a tiny insect with antennas walking around, didn’t look like a termite. I couldn’t see it by eye at all. I collected binoculars since the 70’s and used to check collimation on my Nikon auto collimator. Leitz and Zeiss and all those kind. These new ones for the money are really very good, better than the old ones of yore even if most are made in China. They don’t have plastic lenses, the lenses are very advanced optically actually.
I got the Pentax for the 6.5 power which is easier to hold steady. Not waterproof though. The expensive ones stay home. Here is the one I got. Some would say 6.5 power is not enough, but they have a higher power one. I like the lower power.

To answer your question specifically , I would go with Nikon of the two just because it’s Nikon. One thing is no matter if it is the best Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski, your eyes are the last factor. If you are young you probably see more. With binoculars you are looking at things with your eyes. The last micron of perfection is not seen since your hands are shaking anyway if hand holding them. Canon makes image stabilized but not for $200.

Last edited:
Back