Bilstein vs KYB vs ZF Group vs Monroe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: inquirer
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
OEM is not on the list - any reason you want to stay after market

Beause always (or almost always) OEM parts are overpriced and they are just rebranded parts from other manufacturers. (I bet in this case the original shocks are made by KYB.) And in this case I would like to avoid OEM because they were really soft for my taste.

For some parts yes, maybe you're right. Other parts are identical. For example I was searching for a MAF sensor for a Nissan Almera. The original sensor had a Bosch logo and a Nissan logo engraved on the plastic. The same part bought directly from Bosch had a cost less than 1/3 from the OEM part, if I remember that right. I believe the only difference is that the Bosch part has no Nissan stamp on the body of the sensor.

Car is a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L (4A91 engine), model of 2010.
No sport shocks are available from the title's manufacturers for it, only the following ones:

So which of the above is the most suitable for a sport driving style?

I'd pick any of those except Monroe & KYB, they have fallen far down. Are you competing or just like the sporting feeling? If competing probably Bilstein if not any of the germans would do nicely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Call Bilstein. It may cost a little more, but they should be able to valve a set any way you want. I know they will for rebuilds.

If you're on an all stock setup, I'd go with the B4s out of the box. I think you'll be happy.

You mean they can build a B6, even if they don't have it in their catalog? Who should I contact? I'm in Greece by the way...

Well, the difference between a B4 and B6, valving aside, is the B6 usually has a shorter piston to properly accommodate lowering springs.

I would call Bilstein with your spring specifications and see what they recommend. I'd give their European line a call; they'll know where to direct you. Of course, at this point we're talking $$$, probably an additional $100 per corner.

I'm not sure what your vehicle use is like, or what your goals are. Stock replacement? Lowering + comfortable ride? All out performance?

Originally Posted By: Pelican
I'd pick any of those except Monroe & KYB, they have fallen far down. Are you competing or just like the sporting feeling? If competing probably Bilstein if not any of the germans would do nicely.

I drive a lot on mountain roads and I like to push the car a bit. I'm not racing it though. Sachs socks are half the price than Bilsteins. I wonder if there is a difference in their quality.

Well, the difference between a B4 and B6, valving aside, is the B6 usually has a shorter piston to properly accommodate lowering springs.

I would call Bilstein with your spring specifications and see what they recommend. I'd give their European line a call; they'll know where to direct you. Of course, at this point we're talking $$$, probably an additional $100 per corner.

I'm not sure what your vehicle use is like, or what your goals are. Stock replacement? Lowering + comfortable ride? All out performance?

I don't want to lower the car, because sometimes I drive on dirt roads (rarely, but I do), so I think it wouldn't be wise.
I would like stiffer shocks than the OEMs, which I find too soft.

Bilstein's catalog lists only B4 shocks for this specific Lancer model:
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default.asp...14=4&12=130

WOW, I wish I could get a "defender of the truth" merit award!

Sachs is said to be that OEM of Volvo shocks/struts too.
Their SuperTourings (recommended by Volvo people) were just OK. Actually, they were soft. No leaks or problems.

You have to know what what you want. The Bilstein H6 (Heavy Duty) I put on a Saab were perfect. Great road feel.
FYI: The sellers said the H8 for Volvos were shorter throw for lowered cars. Does that apply to all H8? I do not know.

The 4's were stock. The 6's were HD (I also have rears for my current Volvo and will post later). The 8's are described above.

You mentioned money. Is this a "just buy the Sachs and be done with it" situation?

Also (here comes a ticklish question) are you just in need of shocks or is your search for "THE super shock" something you want because shocks/struts are simply within your hobbycrafting capabilities? Sorry, had to ask.

If you're that into it, see if there's a rebuildable line of dampers. That could be fun.

Before calling Bilstein and paying some dear premium for something you're not sure of, buy their H6's and see how good they are.
It sounds like you wouldn't know what to ask for if you got the production line manager himself.

Originally Posted By: Kira
WOW, I wish I could get a "defender of the truth" merit award!

Sachs is said to be that OEM of Volvo shocks/struts too.
Their SuperTourings (recommended by Volvo people) were just OK. Actually, they were soft. No leaks or problems.

You have to know what what you want. The Bilstein H6 (Heavy Duty) I put on a Saab were perfect. Great road feel.
FYI: The sellers said the H8 for Volvos were shorter throw for lowered cars. Does that apply to all H8? I do not know.

Also (here comes a ticklish question) are you just in need of shocks or is your search for "THE super shock" something you want because shocks/struts are simply within your hobbycrafting capabilities? Sorry, had to ask.

If you're that into it, see if there's a rebuildable line of dampers. That could be fun.

Before calling Bilstein and paying some dear premium for something you're not sure of, buy their H6's and see how good they are.
It sounds like you wouldn't know what to ask for if you got the production line manager himself.

B6 would be among my top choices I guess, but Bilstein don't offer them for Lancer:
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default.asp...14=4&12=130

I plan to change shocks soon. The ones I have now I think they are reaching the end of their lifespan. Given the opportunity I'm searching in order to buy something that will make the car perform better. I'm not interested in very expensive choices like Koni Sports (700 Euros) or KW Variant 2 (1500 Euros) though.

B4 are usually twin tube and the B6 mono tube. In Europe if price/performance is any consideration he can get Boge turbo's probably cheaper than any of them which would be just a reboxed Sachs gas which is a great shock.
Don't get me wrong I like Bilsteins and use them but they are not the only shock in town for all vehicles, I would use rebuildable Koni with tunable valving based on performance alone if its open wallet time.

I installed the Bilstein on a Golf and another with Sachs, honestly I cant tell the difference in corners but the Sachs may be a little softer on smooth roads its hard to say. Longevity without significant performance loss on both is very good.
The Koni is a different level and price altogether but I will say this IMO they seem to loose the advantage and as a consequence the price/performance level drops the heavier the vehicle gets.

OK, I'm doing a more detailed research about ZF group's shock absorbers right now.

Here is what I see about TRW:
  • TRW has 2 types of shock absorbers. It lists one of them as "INTENSE". Does anyone know what this mean? In specs the only difference I see for the front ones is stanchion tube diameter. If anyone knows what that means not only technically, but how does it also affects performance please explain.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Seeing as they are a relabel one is probably oil only and the other "intense" oil/gas like the Boge turbo or Sachs Advantage.

They are both listed as gas shocks...

I visited a spare parts shop and asked their opinion about these brands. The answer I got is that it's difficult to say which brand would offer the stiffer shock absorbers, because that changes from model to model. For one car maybe Excel-G is stiffer than B4 for example, but that's not a rule for all cars.

So I guess I will choose one of the major brands, whichever is cheaper...

I visited a spare parts shop and asked their opinion about these brands. The answer I got is that it's difficult to say which brand would offer the stiffer shock absorbers, because that changes from model to model. For one car maybe Excel-G is stiffer than B4 for example, but that's not a rule for all cars.

So I guess I will choose one of the major brands, whichever is cheaper...

If you want the performance, get the Konis
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back